TBI upper gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I rebuilt the TBI on my V8 swap. It was pretty straight forward. Got it all together, bolted to the intake manifold, and then went to put the "lid" on the TBI. Mine is plastic (as opposed to the metal lid that was equipped on the 89 V6 model). After scrubbing said "lid", I noticed a rubber gasket both top and bottom. Both had long since hardened up, become brittle, and broke off in several pieces.

They were NOT part of the rebuild kit. Where do I find said gaskets?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the broken parts? Your description has me imagining the plastic spacer on top of the TB between the air cleaner.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, my description could have been better. Sorry about that. Here's a pic. It's the nice clean tan cylinder on top of the TBI. See where there's a groove around the top? There's a groove around the bottom, too. The gaskets that came out sort of looked like a "T" from a cross-sectional view. Sorry I don't have whats left of them. Does this clarify things?

You must be registered for see images attach

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 92 350 doesn't have a groove around the top, it is flat. There was a paper 'gasket' that i believe was original that i peeled off when i rebuilt my TBI. My rebuild kit came with a replacement paper 'gasket'

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Went to the yard again today. I found a 94 Suburban with the same TBI/plastic lid setup. The gaskets were there (although shot) so I took a pic for reference.

More importantly, however, I found the round, 3 pin connector I needed for my own junk. I don't see how it will be all that difficult to splice it in with the existing wiring. Long as you have signal or +12v, the other wires become obvious.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I was wrong. I'd have expected paper gaskets. You can try various parts-stores, and you can try the Stealership.

"I" would try using a generic paper gasket.

Supposedly correct for
K1500--K2500 Suburban 4WD Base with engine V8 - 5.7L 350ci GAS TBI vin K - 2 valve OHV from '92--'95.

Make DAMNED SURE those spliced wires are environmentally sealed. No water, no humidity can get inside the splice to corrode the actual conductor. GM has "special instructions" for computer wire repair, which may or may not also include the RFI shield if used. For ****'s sake, don't use cheap-junk crimp connectors. MAYBE the kind that includes solder and heat-shrink tubing. (Heating the tubing to get it to shrink is also hot enough to melt and flow the solder.)

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So just for poop and grins, I looked up this mystery gasket seal.
Cmon did you really try to find it? 3 mins and 17 seconds.
GMPartsGiant, still list as good number. Number 4. And it's not the flat paper gasket.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how it will be all that difficult to splice it in with the existing wiring. Long as you have signal or +12v, the other wires become obvious.
It's a 5 Volt reference signal, not 12V.

Make DAMNED SURE those spliced wires are environmentally sealed. No water, no humidity can get inside the splice to corrode the actual conductor. GM has "special instructions" for computer wire repair, which may or may not also include the RFI shield if used
^^^This

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make DAMNED SURE those spliced wires are environmentally sealed. No water, no humidity can get inside the splice to corrode the actual conductor. GM has "special instructions" for computer wire repair, which may or may not also include the RFI shield if used. For ****'s sake, don't use cheap-junk crimp connectors. MAYBE the kind that includes solder and heat-shrink tubing. (Heating the tubing to get it to shrink is also hot enough to melt and flow the solder.)

You all worry too much. I used electrical tape to seal it all up. If and when it fails, I may invest in a soldering iron and heat shrink.

In the meantime, thank you for the gasket info. I'll check it out later (as in when it's not a work day lol).