So... I did it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those things are not worth the money. Even if they are "rebuilt" they are historically junk. Witchhunter's website even specifically calls them out as junk and will not even attempt to clean them if you sent them in.

It'll be different under the plenum of the 454. I'd pick up a MAP sensor to replace while you're under there. Mine was full of crap. Just the life of an EGR'd vehicle I guess. You'll need 13mm wrenches, 9/16 socket (or 14mm), two 1-3/16 wrenches (or a combo of knipex and cresent) for the EGR tube, 5/8 and 1/2" flare nut wrenches, and I think a 10mm or 3/8" socket.

Make sure you get o-rings for the fuel lines on the rail.

The GM delphi pumps only last till about 100kmi anyways, so yes, it'd a good idea to go ahead and swap it out.

Here's some pictures of what you'll see taking things apart.
Those are nothing like the 5.7 vortecs. I always assumed these had the same spider injector setups. That's awesome, and makes me feel better about it. Thanks for the pictures.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fords had the same bolt pattern until 97
FYI the PY0 wheels are also lug centric, you can run them even though the hub bores were ground out. I would take them to a shop to true them up first but there is nothing bad about lug centric wheels - most aftermarket wheels are anyway.
These came off of an 89 f350, so that eases my mind. I also talked to my buddy that owns a tire store, and he said the same thing about being lug centric, so I decided to keep running them. I looked at some PYOs on a duramax, and you're right, they are lug centric from the factory. I guess I've just always had the wrong impression about lug centric, especially on a truck that's intended to pull some weight.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also talked to my buddy, who is the shop foreman for our GMC store. He's a 24 year veteran. He said it would be a good idea to replace the injectors, but he thinks my problem is the fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. Not to mention that it has an 18 year old, 100,000 mIle factory pump, that whines like crazy. He recommended a delphi pump. I'm going to change it out, but not until we do the paint on the rockers, and fender flares, if it lasts that long. I have to lift the bed anyway, so he can get between the cab and bed, so I'm hoping to just do the pump at the same time. I would really like some more opinions on this 4l80E, simply because the idea I've always been given, is they don't last as long as a 4l60E. This is based off of heresay, simply because I've never messed with one. I was under the impression they are really similar to the old TH400s, other than having an overdrive, and being electronically controlled by a TCM. If that's the case, the old TH400s were pretty damn tough. So any other opinions would help. Thanks again guys for all of the compliments, advise, and learning you've provided me with. You guys are the reason I love the forum, and the reason this is the only form of social media I use. Ha ha. I'm 31, but I'm old school.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also talked to my buddy, who is the shop foreman for our GMC store. He's a 24 year veteran. He said it would be a good idea to replace the injectors, but he thinks my problem is the fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. Not to mention that it has an 18 year old, 100,000 mIle factory pump, that whines like crazy. He recommended a delphi pump. I'm going to change it out, but not until we do the paint on the rockers, and fender flares, if it lasts that long. I have to lift the bed anyway, so he can get between the cab and bed, so I'm hoping to just do the pump at the same time. I would really like some more opinions on this 4l80E, simply because the idea I've always been given, is they don't last as long as a 4l60E. This is based off of heresay, simply because I've never messed with one. I was under the impression they are really similar to the old TH400s, other than having an overdrive, and being electronically controlled by a TCM. If that's the case, the old TH400s were pretty damn tough. So any other opinions would help. Thanks again guys for all of the compliments, advise, and learning you've provided me with. You guys are the reason I love the forum, and the reason this is the only form of social media I use. Ha ha. I'm 31, but I'm old school.

If you buy a new pump, maybe any part, use Rockauto. A DHP10001 at Autozone is $230, RA has them for $140. Plus I think there is a 5% discount code on our forum somewhere (There are other forums I am a member of that have one). That'll save you some jingle.

Yes, hopefully you can do the pump while the bed is off. It didn't take me long to do my pump dropping the tank, even with being meticulous. PB blaster the crap out of the fittings. One of my fittings ripped off of the pump body, even with a 24hr soak of blaster.

Yes, it is way different under a 454's hood. With some WD40 on the injector O-rings and prying little by little on each injector the whole assembly should come out with little fuss.

I've also heard the same thing about 4l80e. "Good luck trying to break that Trans" and "Thats the best trans GM ever made" is all I hear. There's about 3 people in town that keep bothering me trying to buy my truck. I ain't sellin'.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

I always heard the opposite, that 4L80E is a way better transmission than the 4L60E

Yeah the 4l80e is by far superior to the 4l60e, its pretty stout.
What they said whoever told you otherwise is crazy

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 4l80e is far superior to the 4l60e. The 4l80e is based off of the TH400, with an added overdrive and electronic control. The 4l60e is a time bomb ticking. Every one of them fails. Sometimes more than once. Nobody has luck with them, even if built pretty stout. If you were running a lightweight vehicle with not a lot of low end torque, then you may get some life out of a 4l60e. Like maybe a go cart with an LSx.

Do some looking around with the Camaro/GTO guys. None of the 4l60/65s take much more power than stock and come apart. Now imagine how much heavier our trucks are. The 4l60e is adequate for a stock truck. Any extra power, bigger tires, etc usually shortens the life of a 4l60e.

Usually the limit of the 4l80E is a Duramax or similar, in a heavy vehicle. Massive torque + heavy weight kills most car based automatics. That is why the need for the Allison in the DMax trucks. It was built for the application and probably robs a lot more power than a 4l80e.

If you get an Express Van from GM with a Duramax, it comes with a 4l80e (at least in 2006 it did). The DMax in the Express van had 100 less hp than a pickup in 2006. A buddy had a Quigley converted (4wd) Express van that had a DMax and when he reached out to the tuners to get more power, they all shyed away as soon as they knew it had a 4l80e and not an Allison. Supposedly the Allison don't fit in the chassis.