Did I screw up my Engine? Lucas ZDDP - Good running TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekulggats

Reaction score
Hey all, new here -

Got a former Moab Medic truck this year, 83k original miles with great maintenance. 3/4 ton.

**TBI ENGINE that I'll be doing vortec mods to**

I recently took it on a long multistate trip, living out of it partly. Ran very well.

On the last leg, I'd bought some Lucas ZDDP 'Racing' Additive as I heard these are Flat tappet, and running this thing at 65+puts the revs pretty high as it is a 3 speed.

The bottle said to put the WHOLE THING in, so I did. Raising ZDDP to like 4000+PPM apparently. It says this is the *proper way to use it lol.

I have since read this is bad. Lol... I drove it for about 600 miles mostly highway with this stuff in it... Got that **** out asap.

What's yalls opinion on this, did I just put like 40000 miles of wear on this engine in a week lol.

It seems to be running good still, not sure if Im just paranoid but the oil did seem unusually opaque when I changed it

If all's well, I'll be building this thing up a bit with a chip tune, vortec heads, cam and exhaust.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jwelar

Reaction score
We will need some further info.

Opaque oil can be a good thing if what you put in helped to clean carbon out. Was there anything metallic in there with it? If you still have the used oil can you run a magnet through?

Are there any symptoms or anything you’re seeing after the oil change? Knocks or uneven revs at idle. Anything like that?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern Diesel oil is ~1000ppm ZDDP, IIRC. It used to be 2-3 times that. I wouldn't worry about it.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use this oil in everything I own. I'm not afraid of no zinc lol. From my 6.7 F350, the OBS, the daily, lawn tractor, to a couple Can Am 1000 quads, and I only change oil when the "indicator" tells me too. On my F350 that's usually around 13-14,000km.

You'll be ok

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You did no harm.

You did no good.

The main result is that you wasted time, money, effort, and enthusiasm, but not a lot of any of those. This is easily gotten-over.

Yes, you have flat-tappets. But you also have weakass valve springs, and the cam 'n' lifters are already totally broken-in. You don't need "more" ZDDP in the oil than what's in there to begin with, and that's inclusive of the reduced zinc (ZDDP) modern motor oils.

Be aware that Vortec heads on a TBI system have some significant drawbacks, the lack of easy EGR being one of them, the heads need to have at least one hole drilled in the head gasket surface to enable the cooling system bypass to function as designed, and intake manifold fitment issues for the various accessories, vacuum connections, brackets, etc., can be "interesting".

I use this oil in everything I own. I'm not afraid of no zinc lol. From my 6.7 F350, the OBS, the daily, lawn tractor, to a couple Can Am 1000 quads, and I only change oil when the "indicator" tells me too. On my F350 that's usually around 13-14,000km.
From the Shell web-site you linked to:

OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil​

• API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
  • ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31
Note that the API specs that the T6 Rotella oil meets, do not include any spark-ignition specs. That oil is not rated for spark-ignition engines at all, and the additive package will be wrong for spark-ignition engines. You're not doing your engines any favors by using Compression-ignition oil in a spark-ignition motor.

The "zinc scare" in motor oil is largely a fabrication of the aftermarket cam and lifter companies. They went from selling quality parts to made-in-China lifters and sometimes Chinese cam cores. When the inevitable failures happened due to their sourcing low-quality junk, they blamed the oil and EPA instead of accepting responsibility for selling crappy Communist parts.

The magazines bought-in to the cover-up, and we're still fighting the Zinc Scare years later.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the Shell web-site you linked to:

Note that the API specs that the T6 Rotella oil meets, do not include any spark-ignition specs. That oil is not rated for spark-ignition engines at all, and the additive package will be wrong for spark-ignition engines. You're not doing your engines any favors by using Compression-ignition oil in a spark-ignition motor.

Actually, certain flavors of T6 are API-SN rated.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "zinc scare" in motor oil is largely a fabrication of the aftermarket cam and lifter companies. They went from selling quality parts to made-in-China lifters and sometimes Chinese cam cores. When the inevitable failures happened due to their sourcing low-quality junk, they blamed the oil and EPA instead of accepting responsibility for selling crappy Communist parts.

The magazines bought-in to the cover-up, and we're still fighting the Zinc Scare years later.
Sorry Shurk,I ain't buying that. Zinc was added to oil many-many years ago,long before we were plagued with cheap chinesium junk.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd think at the very most, you might - might - have poisoned the O2 sensor a little bit. Maybe the catalytic converter, if still equipped. Personally I wouldn't worry, just don't bother with that magic-in-a-bottle mess again, or anything else that makes big promises. Regular oil changes with quality oil and filter, in the weight and service grade recommended by GM.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Shurk,I ain't buying that. Zinc was added to oil many-many years ago,long before we were plagued with cheap chinesium junk.
Absolutely.

The EPA mandated a reduction, not the elimination of ZDDP. Many folks think modern oil has "NO" ZDDP in it.

Then there's the interaction between motor oil detergent and motor oil ZDDP. Detergent tends to remove the existing ZDDP "plating" of the internal parts.

Point is, the big upsurge in cam/lifter failures happened when there was a big upsurge in cheap Chinese lifters.

Additional ZDDP may be useful for cam 'n' lifter break-in, MAYBE thereafter on an engine with stiff valve springs, but it's wasted on an engine with stock valve springs and many miles on it.