Did I screw up my Engine? Lucas ZDDP - Good running TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that the API specs that the T6 Rotella oil meets, do not include any spark-ignition specs. That oil is not rated for spark-ignition engines at all, and the additive package will be wrong for spark-ignition engines. You're not doing your engines any favors by using Compression-ignition oil in a spark-ignition motor.

It's more complex than spark-ignited vs compression-ignited, in this particular case:

Previously, heavy duty engine oil marketers could claim an API gasoline performance standard on their products if they met CJ-4 and the required performance tests for gasoline standards. Additionally, a waiver was granted for claims of API gasoline performance in cases where products did not meet the chemical restrictions for gasoline specifications (specifically phosphorous limits required for SN).

The recommended viscosity grades for modern gasoline engines are XW-20s and XW-30s. As such, this waiver process is being phased out. Heavy duty engine oils which are XW-30s (and which claim API CK-4 approval) cannot also claim API gasoline standards unless they meet the current phosphorous requirements/limits. The new fully synthetic Shell ROTELLA T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 is one such product that meets the performance requirements of API CK-4 as well as API SN and is formulated with 800 parts per million of phosphorous, which meets the API SN requirements.

While the industry waiver is still currently in existence for heavy duty engine oils that are XW-40�s, this remains in discussion to be addressed by the API in the near future. However, the Shell ROTELLA brand has made the decision to remove API SN claims, regardless of viscosity, from our other products which do not meet the preferred low-phosphorous chemistry for gasoline engines. It is important to note that there is no change in formulation associated with this change. It simply means that Shell ROTELLA products will no longer claim formal API SN approval for products other than our fully synthetic Shell ROTELLA T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 on labels, technical data sheets, rotella.com and marketing materials moving forward.

- The Shell Rotella Team

TLDR: RT6 is still the same oil and formulation that carried an SN rating not too long ago, but Shell proactively dropped their exemption from meeting the low phosphorus requirements before it was pulled by API.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, certain flavors of T6 are API-SN rated.

It's more complex than spark-ignited vs compression-ignited, in this particular case:

TLDR: RT6 is still the same oil and formulation that carried an SN rating not too long ago, but Shell proactively dropped their exemption from meeting the low phosphorus requirements before it was pulled by API.
Yup, like I said, I put that **** in everything. If I wasn't supposed too, I wouldn't :)

ekulggats

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys.

I read a few places that above 1500 or so PPM it becomes actively corrosive to the cylinder walls, bearings etc in the motor and it is DELIBERATELY corrosive to aid in break in.

Seemed ruinous to be 'breaking in' again an engine that was long broken in lol

I'll probably just use a quality 5w30 or 10w30 and use a block heater if im super paranoid

Last edited: