Project: BootyFab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking about how I was to fix it to the table on our mill today, but cant come up with an adequite form of fixture. As long as I get it level all the way around, who cares if it takes me 45min to set it up.

And, I do agree with the accordion vent/diff size. I think it should work fine for my front (which is the main reason I got them), as much as it goes through full heat cycles I think it would be okay. What did you do with your vents?

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress has been hindered by life, school, a due date on a pullin tractor and excettera excettra. But this week I managed to get some good stuff accomplished. I have about a week and a half to install the shackle flip, remove the 4" block, build my sliders and install at the least my rear BTF diff cover (if the plugs ever come in in time).

Wednesday I drilled/tapped my steering box and put on my assist cylinder (this post will be sort of a mini-how-to).

Hydro-Assist on a Saginaw steering box. (I hold no responsibility for your assist adventure, if you decide to take on this project it is of your own doing. This post is only for informational purposes).

What you need:
Drill press, 7/16" drill bit, 1/4x18 NPT tap, hydro lines, cylinder and mounting tabs

Steps
1) Remove box from vehicle
2) Fix box to press
3) Drill top hole in the center of the casting. If drilling box assembled, drill this hole to 0.94" deep.
4) Drill bottom hole centered on the cast tab and in line with the port on the front of box. Drill this hole to 0.5", I drilled a little low so my hole was not as deep.
5) Remove shavings from box.
6) Tap both holes with amble amounts of stickey grease to catch chips of metal. Be weary of depth of tap because these tapered taps can get away from you and you may be left with a tapped hole with not enough thread on the fitting. On my lower hole (the high pressure with a right turn) the hole was not deep enough so I had to grind the tap slightly to aquire adequate thread engagement.
7) Test tapped holes to fittings.
8) Once your threads are deep enough re-install box into truck. I opted to install the lines to the box at this time because I had my lines made without swivel fittings.
9) Attach lines to cylinder. The upper hole is the high pressure port for a left turn while the lower is the high pressure port for the right turn. Install lines to the cylinder in your desired oritentation.
10) Bleed system. I left my draglink off the pitman arm and the cylinder unmounted with the truck off (the cylinder will work backwards of the steering box without pressure) for about a quart of fluid. Once the resi stayed relatively full I attached the draglink and jacked the front tires off the ground and proceeded to bleed system with power.
11) Once the system is bled, attach your cylinder to the axle and tierod to check clearances.
12) After clearances are checked, permanintly weld mounts to vehicle.
13) Enjoy. Keep tabs on resi/fluid level because air will continue to escape.

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Photos.
You must be registered for see images attach

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I built my shackle flip. Came out okay, not too hot about the gusset placement but I was in a hurry (no excuses!!!).

Got adjustability?

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I put in my shackle flip, took out the 4" block and turned my zero rate to move my axle back an inch and a half. Wasn't too eventful. Here are some photos.

Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have my sliders done and on. Then I'll fell more ready to take the truck out and I'll be ready to take a break for a while.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
beautiful truck man i really like the sas. are you gonna make those brackets still?

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck looks great buddy. Nice job on the 10b and thanks for the mini hydro-assist write up. All in all, clean and simple....I like it.

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp, I am more incompitent than I imagined. I didn't think the rear cover bolts were a-symetrical, apparently they are. Guess which dumb ass welded the bolt flange to the cover upside down; me. So, the rear cover isn't going on for a while. I need to plot the bolt pattern and torch out another flange and cut the dome off my $90 paper weight. Oh well, life is truely a cruel ***** sometimes.