Newbie with a already started project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cosmic12

Reaction score
I managed to get myself into a project someone had already started. It's a 1993 1500 2WD ext cab short box 2Dr, 305 TBI. runs and drives great needs body and paint and cam with a bunch of parts. New hood, fenders, 2" dropped spindles (ride tech) a set of 2/3" dropped rear shackels, box's of all new front brakes, everything. also a staggered set of brand new Ridler 18x8 and 18x9.5 new in the box. theres more but I need to know if the 2" dropped spindles are any good and are they what I want for a 5/7 drop. I want to use the wheels so if all works out and they fit what tires do I get, size's. IU need frt springs, shocks all the way round, I will build the C-notch, I need a flip kit, What else? Not even close to my 1st build but I have never done a late model truck drop and I don't want to screw it up.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_20231111_154035034.jpg
    IMG_20231111_154035034.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20231111_154121028.jpg
    IMG_20231111_154121028.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 31

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ride Tech is good stuff, no issues that I've heard of. Been around a long time.
You should get shock extenders for the rear. The lower ones for sure, and uppers if you can find them. But the box has to come off to install the uppers.
For what it's worth, I would just get an entire rear flip kit from Belltech (or whoever your choice is). The engineering is done, all the hardware and nicknacks are already included, like shims and spacers to keep your driveshaft angle happy.
And after just doing my flip kit, take this advice....take the damn box off!!! Lol
So much time and frustration could have been saved if I was able to do that.

cosmic12

Reaction score
Ride Tech is good stuff, no issues that I've heard of. Been around a long time.
You should get shock extenders for the rear. The lower ones for sure, and uppers if you can find them. But the box has to come off to install the uppers.
For what it's worth, I would just get an entire rear flip kit from Belltech (or whoever your choice is). The engineering is done, all the hardware and nicknacks are already included, like shims and spacers to keep your driveshaft angle happy.
And after just doing my flip kit, take this advice....take the damn box off!!! Lol
So much time and frustration could have been saved if I was able to do that.
Thanks, I have used Ride Tech parts on a few other builds, the box is coming off to do the cab corners so I will do the rear then for sure. I don't like the bolt on C-notch's that I will build myself and weld in. I'm more concered with the springs and shocks frt and rear. also tire size's cause I only want to buy them once.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I have used Ride Tech parts on a few other builds, the box is coming off to do the cab corners so I will do the rear then for sure. I don't like the bolt on C-notch's that I will build myself and weld in. I'm more concered with the springs and shocks frt and rear. also tire size's cause I only want to buy them once.
Gotcha.... definitely nothing wrong with building stuff yourself, I wish I had the confidence to build my own stuff sometimes. But I'm getting better with the mig every time I tackle a little something here or there. I still may throw a few beads on my notch's and shock extenders.

As for tires, I stayed with the stock width on mine, stepped up to 17" wheels though. Wish I would've went wider on the back, but whatever.
There is a sticky about wheel/tire sizes in the lowered section I believe. Lots to read through that's for sure.

For shocks, I stepped up to the Belltech street performer ones(I think, whatever was the priciest lol). I have seen some people say you can use stock length ones on the rear with the extensions though. I just bought the entire kit with the best shocks they had. Came with the extensions, so I think (hopefully) they sent the right length ones.

The springs were from Belltech (duh) and were a 3" drop, but have a 1" spacer if you only want 2" of drop. I used the spacer, and the truck isn't sitting level. Been told that it settles after driving for a while. See what happens in the spring once she's out of the garage and on the road. If it doesn't, I'll tear them out on a rainy day.

cosmic12

Reaction score
Digging through parts today I found the specs on the wheels, not looking good from I have read on here and probly why they are still in the box's. 18 x 8 with 0mm offset and 4.5 back space. The rears are 18 x 9.5 6MM offset with 5.49 back space. I'm bummed right now, somebody please say I can use spacers or something. Shaking my head in disappointment.

cosmic12

Reaction score
After a whole lot of reading and searching on here then following some links (thanks guys) I'm thinking I am going with the IHC 3" control arms and 2" springs. I was going to replace the original control arms anyway with stock replacements so to me it makes since to do the IHC set. So it appears I might have a set of ride tech 2" spindles avilb. Also with the IHC's those wheels I got I might be able to make them work.

Carlosm86

Reaction score
Any chance you looked into CPP’s double adjustable coilovers for the front to achieve the extra 2” drop? I recently swapped to coilovers from dropped springs(DJM) and the ride quality definitely improved.
I would recommend getting belltech’s top shock extenders if the bed is coming off. I don’t know any other brand that makes the top extenders, everyone else just makes the bottom extenders.

thejim42

Reaction score
Depending on your budget QA1 has some really good stuff as far as shocks and potentially coil overs. I've heard good thing about ride tech stuff, personally if you have the fab skills i would consider bagging the rear. Now i know "bagging" is a term often associated with mini trucks and super low riders and guys that like to lay frame but depending on how you set your mounts and links you can make it any height you want, get good ride quality, and still have payload capacity.

As far as wheels go, i'm not afraid of spacers like most others are. you have to get the right spacer for the application and there is such a thing as too much. A of people don't realize that in solid axle trucks, the difference between the front axle on a dually vs a SRW is a bolt on spacer. and for the size tire and diameter of wheel you are looking to run, spacers won't be an issue so long as you get a good quality part. Either way...those jeep steelies need to go.

For what its worth i come from a background in build rock crawlers and we've run spacers on 42x15.50r17 tires down the highway at 70mph and then beat on them on the trails and haven't yet (knock on wood) had an issue.

cosmic12

Reaction score
LOL, ya the Jeep wheels are for this winter which will be the last winter it see's. I was thinking about the coil overs but I already have some of the parts for doing the springs, spindles, but I got my IHC control arms today and the springs but they sent 3" drop springs so now I have to send them back 3" drop arms and 3" spring's would be a bit much and I ordered 2" so back they go. Now I need to get the 2" ride tech spindle's gone hope I can find someone that needs them, the cash will help with the parts I still need to get. If anyone hears of a need for the spindle's I gott'm.

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_165238512.jpg
    IMG_20231130_165238512.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231130_165146022.jpg
    IMG_20231130_165146022.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231117_142830.jpg
    IMG_20231117_142830.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 7