so many options for drop, need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, so I have found the rims/tires I want. going with a drag pack staggered setup 17x7 fronts and 15x10 with the right offset to tuck

My 89 currently just has a set of 2in drop shackles in the rear to kind of get it level, but I plan to do a 4x6 static drop. This is where I need advice.

Front options. springs, hubs, or arms.

springs, cheap, easy to replace, replaced 34yr old springs, but no other hardware, not the best geometry,
hubs, better geometry, need to replace brake disks anyway, doesn't address 34yr old ball joints, still old springs
arms, good geometry, replaces ball joints, harder to install, same old springs

rear options springs, flip kit
both require C notch

springs, come in 4in drop, reuse the shackles I have to achieve 6in, replaces 34yr old springs
flip kit, most drop kits come with this option as a package deal, will have to source factory length shackles to replace drop shackles, or re bushing mine, reuses old springs.

I have not looked at specific prices on all this, and although I want to be budget conscious, I don't mind spending a little more for better results.

Not a daily driver, but I do drive it a few times a week.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By hubs I assume you mean spindles, or are you trying to drop a 4x4?
Doing A-arms messes with geometry unless you do uppers as well, and that costs more $$$.
Tried and true is 2" spindles, 2" coils or cut your stock ones as some find the new drop ones a bit stiff.
Flip kit in the rear with lower AND upper shock extensions. Ya, find a OE shackle and put it back on.
It's by far the way it has been done for 30+yrs.
Be aware, if you use Belltech spindles or their clones, they push the front wheels out about 3/4".

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m the opposite, I prefer drop control arms for the front
I am actually leaning towards upper and lower arms when I do mine. As I am such a cheap and lazy sob, and I need new bushings and ball joints, the cost of replacement arms plus spindles is more than dropped arms. And I don't feel like fighting with bushings. Time will tell. Lol

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By hubs I assume you mean spindles, or are you trying to drop a 4x4?
Doing A-arms messes with geometry unless you do uppers as well, and that costs more $$$.
Tried and true is 2" spindles, 2" coils or cut your stock ones as some find the new drop ones a bit stiff.
Flip kit in the rear with lower AND upper shock extensions. Ya, find a OE shackle and put it back on.
It's by far the way it has been done for 30+yrs.
Be aware, if you use Belltech spindles or their clones, they push the front wheels out about 3/4".
yes i meant spindles, sorry.

i didnt think about the 2+2 option. i can do the ball joints and that will cover most all of the old hardware. I have already replaced the steering from outer to outer.

do the rear drop springs ride rougher? i assume they are just not as arched, but does that affect the spring rate?

just because its been done that way for 30 years, doesn't make it the best way.. :D j/k

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much will a flip kit lower the rear? I thought it was 5" lower with flip kit and c notch with factory shackles. So, with your drop shackles you'd be at 7" drop, right? That may bring up some additional clearance issues, from my understanding.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is your goal for the truck? Are the bigs and littles for a purpose, or just looks? Form follows function...
eventually will be for a purpose. I plan on full exhaust, with a heads/cam kit, carb friendly intake, and a snyper system, along with the supporting mods, (fuel, spark, etc)

but for now, the wheels came along and i cant pass up the deal.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much will a flip kit lower the rear? I thought it was 5" lower with flip kit and c notch with factory shackles. So, with your drop shackles you'd be at 7" drop, right? That may bring up some additional clearance issues, from my understanding.
i thought the flip was 6 even, people use 1in lift shackles to get 5 out of it. I could go 3x5 but i want the fenders just at the top of the tires.

If i did a flip, i would replace my drop shackles with stock length. I would not reuse them

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought the flip was 6 even, people use 1in lift shackles to get 5 out of it. I could go 3x5 but i want the fenders just at the top of the tires.

If i did a flip, i would replace my drop shackles with stock length. I would not reuse them
Huh, I was under the impression that the flip kit was 5". I could absolutely be wrong on that as I have only recently started reading up on how to drop my K1500 so just making mental notes and may have made that one wrong.