my SAS ?'s thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I knew the 73-87's were like that but I saw pics on here of builds with them different and on other sites, just thought I'd ask.

I don't have a problem with it either way.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here's a new one,

when you use chevy 52's up front and it's a 10 bolt with the one wider u bolt on the PS, what spring/u bolt plate do/can you use?

almost all the aftermarket ones I see say 3 inch axle tube and 2.5 wide springs, but rear springs are 3 inch wide right?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
here's a new one,

when you use chevy 52's up front and it's a 10 bolt with the one wider u bolt on the PS, what spring/u bolt plate do/can you use?

almost all the aftermarket ones I see say 3 inch axle tube and 2.5 wide springs, but rear springs are 3 inch wide right?
my 52's are 2.5 wide, i had to add a spacer in the front hanger as it was meant for 3" wide and the hanger is from a 84 k5 so it would have been a 10b

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 52's are 2.5 wide, i had to add a spacer in the front hanger as it was meant for 3" wide and the hanger is from a 84 k5 so it would have been a 10b

Same thing i had to do. The stock front springs have a 3" wide bushing and 2.5" wide spring.
For spring plates I'm using the stock ones for the gm 10 bolt, just had to switch them from side to side for the ford axle.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what did you guys use for spacers?

also since the gm 10 bolt and the 44 knuckles have the tapers opposite ways, could I take the DS gm 10b and drill it out solid no taper, then use one of the taper inserts like wfo sells and make that work to line up that center tie rod to be the same on both sides?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what did you guys use for spacers?

also since the gm 10 bolt and the 44 knuckles have the tapers opposite ways, could I take the DS gm 10b and drill it out solid no taper, then use one of the taper inserts like wfo sells and make that work to line up that center tie rod to be the same on both sides?

I just cut my spacers out of 1/4" plate, 2 per side.

Yes you can drill out the tie rod hole and use a retaper. By keeping it on top though you can run into clearance issues between the tie rod and springs. Also the d44 and 10 bolt knuckles the tie rod arms are different heights so the tie rod will still be on an angle a little bit. I have a tre tapered insert but have just been putting it off on the install and hoping to come across a d44 for cheap.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright I may do that then.

I haven't got an axle or anything yet. I can get a 10 bolt basically free, but I can buy a 44 for $200 complete but 8 lug, also can get non machined single knuckle on ebay or even get one already machined or get a pair. I thought of getting a pair off ebay already machined.