my SAS ?'s thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep, after some research and an email to wfo(waiting on reply)

I think I may do this...

buy a stick of dom from wfo, bad thing is their kits for drag links use .219 wal thickness, and the inserts are 7/8-18 lh and rh threads, but go into an ID of 1" the .219 wall dom is 1.062 not sure if that would matter or not, so I was considering a thicker tube, they have some .250 wall thickness with ID of 1" it's only like $8 more for a 4 ft. section compared to the .219, but thicker has to be stronger right?

Well then their tube inserts are $22 for a pair of LH and RH threads
then you can buy the drag link or TRE over the counter, like on rock auto, autozone, advance, amazon etc.

Doing that I'd end up like $35 cheaper then the wfo kit. The wfo kit is the cheapest I saw.

I'm pretty sure this is the way I'm going unless I find some local for cheaper.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Ah HAH! That kit comes with the flat top knuckle I will need anyways. Thats what I have been looking for, except I was thinking about the bent drag link instead of the straight. Thats just for more clearance and less angle, right?

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Re: the DOM thickness, on my current SAS project, I am using 1.5" .25 wall dom and will be using a 1" OD weld in bung that it tapped for 3/4 (I think 18 tpi) righ and left threads. (1 ton TRE.)

On my jeep, prior to going full hyrdo, it was a lot tighter to package everything, I was getting slight contact of the pitman arm to the tie rod with 1.5" DOM so I went with 1.25" - .25 DOM and instead of using weld in bungs, I tapped the link directly. This set up is less ideal than the weld in bung, but it worked flawlessly for years of use and abuse. I will look for some pics if you like. My photobucket account is locked out for some reason.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
But for 35 bucks extra the tube already is drilled for threads correct?

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
And most of them say they send it with a few inches extra to be able to cut to fit and weld in the bungs. I think I would rather have the weld in bungs and be done with it. I know it may cost a little more but I might just go with the kit made custom fit by them for my setup. Will just save me alot of headache and fab work I don't have the resources to do here on base.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I honestly don't know, I buy enough DOM and HREW that I get really good pricing, plus I buy large quantities and leave it in thw shop, usually around 500-1000 ft per order.

The two taps will run about $75 a piece and can be bought from Amy tooling supplier.

Honestly, for ease, the weld in bungs are the way to go.

Last edited: