Fun on a budget- My 96 Sierra 2500 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I might have missed the original discussion about the oil pressure - so you're still running the original sending unit? If you're getting a low oil pressure reading on the gauge, and "check gauges" light popping on, but NO ugly sounds from the engine - I'd put money on the sending unit. They have several common failure modes including low reading, erratic reading, and of course, leaking. :)

Richard

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might have missed the original discussion about the oil pressure - so you're still running the original sending unit? If you're getting a low oil pressure reading on the gauge, and "check gauges" light popping on, but NO ugly sounds from the engine - I'd put money on the sending unit. They have several common failure modes including low reading, erratic reading, and of course, leaking. :)

Richard
Yeah, it's the original sending unit, I guess the one nice thing about this truck is that it's all original and mostly unmolested, I have yet to come across any dumbfuckery from the P.O.
But yes, I'm getting low oil pressure at idle when the engine reaches full temperature, even though it reads about 65 psi on cold startup. Not a single ugly sound, even when it reads 0 PSI, not even a slight lifter clatter. I believe you, I remember reading about your escapades with it in your thread. I have a new one to put it, but I can't get the damn thing out. I know yours is TBI and most differences are negligible, but how did you get yours out? I can't see much of a way other than lifting the cab :rofl: guess I might as well if I do body mounts? Lol.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the original sending unit, I guess the one nice thing about this truck is that it's all original and mostly unmolested, I have yet to come across any dumbfuckery from the P.O.
But yes, I'm getting low oil pressure at idle when the engine reaches full temperature, even though it reads about 65 psi on cold startup. Not a single ugly sound, even when it reads 0 PSI, not even a slight lifter clatter. I believe you, I remember reading about your escapades with it in your thread. I have a new one to put it, but I can't get the damn thing out. I know yours is TBI and most differences are negligible, but how did you get yours out? I can't see much of a way other than lifting the cab :rofl: guess I might as well if I do body mounts? Lol.
I haven't done the one on a 7.4 TBI which I saw in someone else's post is at the front of the engine (may vary depending on year.) The one on my '96 7.4 *looked* like you might could get it from under the truck, but maybe not? I didn't give it a whole lot of attention other than unplugging it, before I pulled that engine from the C3500 and put it into the 3500HD. Tricky to get to, sure; I'd think you could also get it by laying across the intake and throw a bright light back there so you can see.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I did mine under the hood. I think I had to buy a special socket, and make sure it was also long, as some of them are a bit short. I think it came from Autozone, as I don't see it in my Amazon history. You basically have to do it by feel. I would recommend pulling the wiring to verify the part needed beforehand. There are 3 wire and 1 wire parts. I assumed I would need the 3 wire, but my truck uses the single wire.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't done the one on a 7.4 TBI which I saw in someone else's post is at the front of the engine (may vary depending on year.) The one on my '96 7.4 *looked* like you might could get it from under the truck, but maybe not? I didn't give it a whole lot of attention other than unplugging it, before I pulled that engine from the C3500 and put it into the 3500HD. Tricky to get to, sure; I'd think you could also get it by laying across the intake and throw a bright light back there so you can see.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Ohh, that's my bad. Yeah, I tried to see if I could from underneath and I couldn't even get my hand up in there. I tried to get it out when I had the upper plenum and distributor cap off, couldn't even get a socket on there because it's right up against the block.
I did mine under the hood. I think I had to buy a special socket, and make sure it was also long, as some of them are a bit short. I think it came from Autozone, as I don't see it in my Amazon history. You basically have to do it by feel. I would recommend pulling the wiring to verify the part needed beforehand. There are 3 wire and 1 wire parts. I assumed I would need the 3 wire, but my truck uses the single wire.
Yeah, I spose you would need a special socket, so I should search for a cheap one. Agreed, couldn't even get my head in there to see it. I must have the 3 wire, I'm remembering 2 wire for some reason, but I know the new one plugs right in.

Thanks for the advice!

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, since I replaced the CTS, the truck has become a reliable daily, hop in and it cranks right up. Although, yesterday I drove to my buddy's house about 20 minutes away and it started idle surging when I parked in his driveway. That's the first time it's done that since I last fixed it, and I've taken it on longer drives. Not sure what's up with that, it didn't do that the rest of the day.

I got the JET software working on my computer and perused through the stock tune. All I can say is I need some help. LOL. There's a lot there for my feeble mind. However, I did go through and adjust a few things, including disabling the EGR, rear O2 sensors and associated CELs, so no more check engine light! I also changed the tire size hoping it might make my speedometer stop acting up, but to no avail. My speedometer reads 5 mph over at 25 mph (so it reads 30) and reads 7 mph over at 45 mph (speedo reads 52). Any of you guys know what could be up with that?

Anyone who knows what to start with on the tune, your input would be greatly appreciated!

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to write it up till now, but earlier this week I did front pads and replaced the caliper slider seals, also have front brake hoses to install but I ran out of time the one night. I also changed the diff oil because it started clunking when I would turn. It was pretty nasty, but not the worst I've seen. There were some shavings and small chunks stuck to the magnet inside, but overall it wasn't bad. I forgot to take a picture.

My exhaust leak is bothering me and it seems to be getting worse, I'm just about feeling like it's time for a new front half of the exhaust system. I want to do headers (haven't decided short or long, probably whatever's cheaper) but I am concerned about breaking off eleventy million manifold studs in the heads. I don't want the catalytic converters in there, but I don't want it to be deafening. I'm thinking some Flowmaster FlowFX (Magnaflow style) straight through mufflers: https://www.holley.com/products/exh...glass_pack_mufflers/flowfx_series/parts/71419 and some cutouts either after the header or after the Flow FXs. Not quite sure yet. I don't need cutouts, but I want them. I'm thinking that these Flow FXs into the big ol Cherry Bomb Salute should produce a (hopefully) quiet enough sound with a really nice deep rumble. The other hope is that there will be minimal exhaust drone, but I'd take that over the sound of a leak any day!