Fun on a budget- My 96 Sierra 2500 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced the coolant temp sensor and she starts and runs like a dream once again. Replaced the PCV as well, just cause. Tomorrow I will be doing the thermostat (180 degree) and new coolant, after thoroughly rinsing all the old crap out. I am pretty sure that it's the factory coolant still in there, it smells awful and there are tons of iron deposits on the inside of the radiator cap. Why 180 degree thermostat you may ask? It runs much too hot for my taste, 210 once it's fully warmed up, I don't like to see that, plus it makes my oil pressure drop to 0 at idle. Engine makes absolutely no noise though... and I see at least 10 psi for every 1000 rpm (when hot). I have a new oil pressure sensor, but I couldn't get the old one off, even when I had the plenum and distributor cap off, so I had decided to leave it, as I figured it's gotta be working? It seems to be fine and act normal except for when the engine gets hot. I'll have to research what tools others use to get their sensors out (because I could not get a socket on it, the outer wall of the socket hit the block before it could engage) and then put a tee off of it with a mechanical pressure gauge to hopefully verify that my crank bearings are not shot. The motor has 177k on it, and I'm running 10W-40. I would not like to rebuild the engine, so I may just pretend that everything is fine. :rofl: I do see a homebuilt big block (maybe stroker?) in the truck's future, but that's quite a ways down the road.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was not able to do the thermostat on Wednesday, as my grandparents stopped over. Did get it done on Thursday night, and flushed the block and heater core, wasn't able to flush the radiator super well though. The coolant was really nasty, lots of rust chunks came out when I flushed it. The overflow tank and line were all plugged up so I took it off, cleaned it the best I could and blew the line out. I took it for a drive afterward and the temps weren't as high as before, probably 200 or so, but still not what I was hoping for. Hm. I wonder if swapping to the 9 blade fan would help pull more air? I plan to anyway in the future, as the 5 blade is too damn loud, can't even hear the engine when I step on it. So it wasn't a complete success, but I'm much happier, as least knowing it has fresh, good coolant.

I had it up in the air, and while it was up I took a better look at the spare rim, and it was actually pretty nice, so last night I decided I would swap it with the front left rim. The spare tire however looked like it was about to explode.
You must be registered for see images attach
That was just one of the many spots. Not very helpful if I get a flat. So I went and looked at the stack of tires out behind the shop and found an actually halfway decent tire.
New (not) spare for free .99! I'll take it! Truck is now 13.27% less of a death trap.

Pictures of the truck as it sits now.

Much better with the shiny(er) brush guard and matching rim and center cap. Now to do the important things like fix all the rust and repaint it... Nope. Just gonna pretend it's fine. :rofl: Eventually, when I find the time and motivation.

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was not able to do the thermostat on Wednesday, as my grandparents stopped over. Did get it done on Thursday night, and flushed the block and heater core, wasn't able to flush the radiator super well though. The coolant was really nasty, lots of rust chunks came out when I flushed it. The overflow tank and line were all plugged up so I took it off, cleaned it the best I could and blew the line out. I took it for a drive afterward and the temps weren't as high as before, probably 200 or so, but still not what I was hoping for. Hm. I wonder if swapping to the 9 blade fan would help pull more air? I plan to anyway in the future, as the 5 blade is too damn loud, can't even hear the engine when I step on it. So it wasn't a complete success, but I'm much happier, as least knowing it has fresh, good coolant.

I had it up in the air, and while it was up I took a better look at the spare rim, and it was actually pretty nice, so last night I decided I would swap it with the front left rim. The spare tire however looked like it was about to explode.
That was just one of the many spots. Not very helpful if I get a flat. So I went and looked at the stack of tires out behind the shop and found an actually halfway decent tire.
New (not) spare for free .99! I'll take it! Truck is now 13.27% less of a death trap.

Pictures of the truck as it sits now.

Much better with the shiny(er) brush guard and matching rim amd center cap. Now to do the important things like fix all the rust and repaint it... Nope. Just gonna pretend it's fine. :rofl: Eventually, when I find the time and motivation.
I wouldn’t put a ton of stock in the gauge. Mine will rise to 210 then fall to half way between 0 and 210. It’s also not linear. If you’re able, put a temp gun on it and see what it is.

Keep up the good work. I got new center caps from OldGM.net. I thought it was a scam but they were legit.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also discovered I need front pads. Yay. Seller told me it had new front brakes, damn liar. Only thing new in the front are the brake lines.
While I had it up in my teeth, I was cleaning up the trim rings a bit. When I was doing the rear ones I rotated the tire and the other one moved opposite, scared the **** out of me because I have the G80 diff, and to my previous recollection, it was always locked whenever I had spun the tires when it was up in the air. Went home pretty pissed, thinking I'd blown my diff, as I know the G80 is prone to failure. Then I did some research on the forum and found that I'm a complete idiot and my diff is fine, I now know that the 10.5 Gov-Lock is actually pretty robust. I know the diff was locked when I was doing the left rear wheel cylinder, which makes sense because it was icy out and I was spinning trying to pull it into the shop. Well, crisis averted, idiot mode triggered again but now I know more. On another note, the more and more I learn about the options on this truck, the more it seems like I bought the ultimate burnout truck. Heheheh. Nooo, I would never.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t put a ton of stock in the gauge. Mine will rise to 210 then fall to half way between 0 and 210. It’s also not linear. If you’re able, put a temp gun on it and see what it is.

Keep up the good work. I got new center caps from OldGM.net. I thought it was a scam but they were legit.
Interesting, mine's been staying consistent. That's a good idea, if I can find one. The other thing is the oil pressure at real hot idle did not rise much, the check gauges light still comes on. It is better, but not by much. Still considering heavier oil, any input?

Thank you sir, chipping away at the mound of crap a little at a time. Hmm, might be a good solution for the future when the truck's actually looking nice enough to warrant it. For now, these junkyard center caps are looking quite spiffy enough. I will get some GMC center badges though so they all look right, about $20 on evilbay.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, mine's been staying consistent. That's a good idea, if I can find one. The other thing is the oil pressure at real hot idle did not rise much, the check gauges light still comes on. It is better, but not by much. Still considering heavier oil, any input?

Thank you sir, chipping away at the mound of crap a little at a time. Hmm, might be a good solution for the future when the truck's actually looking nice enough to warrant it. For now, these junkyard center caps are looking quite spiffy enough. I will get some GMC center badges though so they all look right, about $20 on evilbay.
No input on the oil. I’ve been fortunate enough that my engines are tight even at high mileage.

An engine out re-seal isn’t a bad idea. New oil pump, check clearances, etc. Will add a bit of time to your build plan but would be beneficial.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No input on the oil. I’ve been fortunate enough that my engines are tight even at high mileage.

An engine out re-seal isn’t a bad idea. New oil pump, check clearances, etc. Will add a bit of time to your build plan but would be beneficial.
Lucky man. Guess it could be my sending unit being a sped, but probably not.

Definitely a good idea and a plan in the future, just not exactly in the cards for me right now. I don't have the room or resources at the moment, nor another vehicle to drive. If I'm pulling the motor I may as well build it a little, probably end up taking it to the machine shop to be bored, block decked to increase compression, groovy heads or port mine myself, all of that cost depending I spose. I suppose I don't exactly need a vehicle at the moment, I have other means to get around, but we may be moving soon so I should probably wait. And I'm sure that it'll turn into a big project once I blow it apart, just like everything else does.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucky man. Guess it could be my sending unit being a sped, but probably not.

Definitely a good idea and a plan in the future, just not exactly in the cards for me right now. I don't have the room or resources at the moment, nor another vehicle to drive. If I'm pulling the motor I may as well build it a little, probably end up taking it to the machine shop to be bored, block decked to increase compression, groovy heads or port mine myself, all of that cost depending I spose. I suppose I don't exactly need a vehicle at the moment, I have other means to get around, but we may be moving soon so I should probably wait. And I'm sure that it'll turn into a big project once I blow it apart, just like everything else does.
I hear that. Well when it needs to happen I’m sure it will. An oil pump couldn’t be a terrible job with the engine in. Does it use oil at all?

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear that. Well when it needs to happen I’m sure it will. An oil pump couldn’t be a terrible job with the engine in. Does it use oil at all?
Yeah, it'll definitely happen, and it'll be an excuse to buy another GMT400! I don't think the oil pump has any problems, unless there's something I'm missing, probably a main bearing clearance issue of it is the engine, I would believe. It does not use any oil, to my knowledge, no blue smoke out the tailpipes, but I haven't put enough miles on it to be certain. Seems like the engine is pretty well sealed up, I don't think it uses any coolant either. Time and miles will tell, I guess it's worth the money though, I'm sure the truck will outlast me if I take good care of it. It's worth the money until it becomes like that meme you made, eh? LOL.