My 92 K1500 Z71 build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I started sand blasting my winch bumper today, but I dont think I will be continuing. It takes a little long for me so ill be using stripper instead. I will be sand blasting my new wheels though as they have some surface rust in tight spots. Not sure when because I need to get the body work finished before I worry about wheels and the bumper.

Sent from my 355 powered Galaxy Tab 3

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doing great progress man!

Thanks.

Well today I sanded down the door so I could add more bondo. Got it almost perfect but want out of light so I threw some primer on it till monday. Also started same blasting one of my wheels just to see how well it was going to work. Im liking it so far but next time I use the sand blaster I am definitely wearing pants, boots, a mask, and long sleeves. Might even wear a full over head mask cause sand gets everywhere. I still have sand in my hair and i was wearing a hat. if I take a deep breath I can still smells the sand. I also need to get more sand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I started sanding down the drivers sorry today. And would out that I need a water pump. Maybe even some other things.
You must be registered for see images attach

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If tou lived closer I'd give you a water pump. Easy thing to fix thoug. Funny though cause im on my second brand new radiator in 4 months

My mom works for a dealership so im getting it through her. And shes prolly paying for it. That sucks

Last edited:

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i went to change the water pump today only to find out that i cant use it cause i have a much older small block and the new water pump doesnt have mounting holes for my alternator. when i noticed this (after i had already disassembled) i started running the numbers and codes on the block. one of the codes witch is on the front of the block on the passenger side tells me that my motor could be a 307 from 1972 or it could be a 350 from 1980. the casting number on the drivers side and the back of the block says that the engine could be a 327 from 1968 or that it could be a 350 from 1969-1979. so i am kinda lost here. the casting number is 3970010. the engine code stamping numbers the other set of numbers that i have is V0725TDT. what i am thinking is the serial number for the motor is T30516196. i am not sure of this though it is right under the engine code stamping numbers on the block. i cant seem to find them anywhere online. so if somebody has any experience with decoding engine blocks could yall please help me. i would really like to know this so i can decide weather or not i really want to keep the motor and use one thats in the shop that i know for fact is a low miles 350 small block. thanks

my battery also went dead. it was a optima red top. thought i was going to have to replace it but the guy at oriellys said that he might be able to charge it up my using a new optima red top. im hoping that it works cause thats 125 bucks i aint got to spend.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Have you pulled the numbers off the back of the block behind the drivers side head?

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the more my grandpa looks at my engine and looks at my heads. he is thinking that they might be mismached. he also took a little bit closer look at the motor and it is an older small block. it has 2 piece seal instead of newer style 1 piece. so this motor is not going to stay in the truck. i am going to build one of the many small blocks he has in his shop when ever i go to do the build. that is later down the line. cause this engine runs just fine the way it is.

so now this is going to be my new plan for my later on motor build. i am going to be using a late 80s 350. it will not be machined, i will be using vortec heads from a 98 tahoe, edlebrock performer intake for vortec to carb, and im thinking a RV cam from comp cams, not sure on that yet. i am going to put the full serpentine belt systems like was on it from the factory. not sure on distributor and all that mess yet as i dont really know much about it. i already have a 1406 600cfm edelbrock carb that i am going to rebuild just so everything is new. i am going to make sure that everything is done right since its not right now. also am going to get my a/c hooked up. i am hoping to run dual efans down the line. not sure when all this will be done as i am still in the midst of body work for paint. anything yall want to add to what i have decided on. maybe some pointers and some advice on the ignition system as in what distributor. what would yall run.