Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeizeImmunity

Reaction score
I gotta 95 K1500 im trying to build to tow more. 4l60e trans and all stock. Im planning on doing a 14 bolt conversion and a 3/4 leaf spring swap. My major question is:
What U joint will I need to fit the orginal driveshaft to meet the 14b axle? Ive searched around and cant find a conclusive answer anywhere.
Ps. Sorry if this isnt the right place to bring this question. I was exactly sure where to put it. Thanks ahead for any info and tips.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are serious about better towing with your truck, a 4L80 swap should also be a priority.
Don't know about the u-joint.
BUT.... there is a sticker from the factory that tells you LEGALLY what you can tow. Doesn't matter if you put 1ton springs in, Cummings with a Allison transmission, if you get in a accident, your screwed! Bottom line.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I gotta 95 K1500 im trying to build to tow more. 4l60e trans and all stock. Im planning on doing a 14 bolt conversion and a 3/4 leaf spring swap. My major question is:
What U joint will I need to fit the orginal driveshaft to meet the 14b axle? Ive searched around and cant find a conclusive answer anywhere.
Ps. Sorry if this isnt the right place to bring this question. I was exactly sure where to put it. Thanks ahead for any info and tips.
How much "more" are you planning on towing? A 1500 will tow a decent amount BUT you have to exercise caution in several areas....
Brakes on a stock 1500 pickup aren't that great! But if you swap in a 14B axle and add leafs, that will help. But you still have a half ton frame, and a 4L60E trans. Be sure the trans has good fresh fluid in it, and you need a better transmission cooler. Also DO NOT tow in OD, use D instead. The trans will automatically shift through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, just won't go into 4th/OD.
And as others have noted....you cannot legally tow more than what your truck is rated for, no matter what upgrades you do.

SeizeImmunity

Reaction score
How much "more" are you planning on towing? A 1500 will tow a decent amount BUT you have to exercise caution in several areas....
Brakes on a stock 1500 pickup aren't that great! But if you swap in a 14B axle and add leafs, that will help. But you still have a half ton frame, and a 4L60E trans. Be sure the trans has good fresh fluid in it, and you need a better transmission cooler. Also DO NOT tow in OD, use D instead. The trans will automatically shift through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, just won't go into 4th/OD.
And as others have noted....you cannot legally tow more than what your truck is rated for, no matter what upgrades yo
Probably Spicer 5-648X but you should measure and determine that for yourself.
Thank you for being the only person that didnt throw legalities at me out here where i live i couldnt honestly care less. So where should i be measuring? Between the driveshaft and axle? Then take into account the new axle size and estimate best from there? Sorry this will be the first time doing any kinda job like this, really just trying to learn the whats and wheres.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the reason why people tell you that stuff is because your brakes are inadequate, and they become useless with a load real quick. Grabbeth thine digital calipers and do as Spicer says: