Seeking similar build VIN for GVWR cross referencing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winda Liqqer

Reaction score
Hey all,

Seeking the last 8 digits of someone's VIN that is same/close to my truck. Dealerships cannot go to 1989 to dissect VIN for GVWR/GCWR however they can read 1990+. From what I gather anyone with a 90/91 would be my best case scenario.
*My glovebox build tag is well worn and the door decal is beyond faded*

Me:
1989 RCSB (Sierra SLE, stepside)
K1500
5.7 TBI
Auto. (700r4)
3.73 gearing
10 bolt axle
Light duty brakes
Leaf springs #tbd
A/C
C/C
Power windows/locks
Bench seat (no split)

My goal is to keep within legal GVWR limits and see what can be legally towed (albeit not much with this old girl). Online info is conflicting at best, once this is sorted out I'll report back legit numbers for the sake of future forum surfers.

Much appreciated :cool:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this in the 1989 GM service manual, it makes reference to the braking capacity via reference to the forth digit of the VIN. This doesn't directly answer your question but it's a point of reference and gives some perspective of the vehicle's ability to handle load.

You must be registered for see images attach

The above image came from this page (from the bottom left):

Then there's this:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ wow, I'm surprised JN1 was a thing on a full size truck... no vacuum assist!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last eight won't tell you any of that. To be honest, it sounds like you're trying to scam a title for a tag that won't raise suspicions.

Winda Liqqer

Reaction score
Erik, you got me. Scammer here. Nah I’m kidding though I do understand how or why you’d think that.

Since my last post I’ve scoured cars.com, carsforsale.com and eBay for 1990+ VINs (all readily available). Have not phoned a dealership yet with those digits, will update if any useful data comes of it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why don't you try the GM heritage website, download the owners handbook, the glove box thing, nobody looks at. It has trailer ratings listed in it. Or an '89 and '90 will be the same.
Notice the vin carries limits based on not how much can carry but how much your brakes can safely stop.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An 89 RCSB 5.7 3.73 10 bolt…good guess it has JB3 brakes. Even with everything thing in good condition, I wouldn’t tow more than 1500-2000lbs. maybe.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ wow, I'm surprised JN1 was a thing on a full size truck... no vacuum assist!
The G-vans came with JB1 IIRC that did not have a vacuum booster as well. The most basic G10s came with that. Inline 6, 3 on the tree, manual brakes, manual steering and no ac.