My 92 K1500 Z71 build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My vortec heads that I will be using. From a 98 tahoe.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well this build is most likely coming to an end. i am most likely buying a 95 4 door k1500 tahoe saturday. getting it for 700 bucks because it has some transmission issues and it has 300k miles. so i will most likely be selling the 92 to fund the new tahoe. most may think this is odd but i like suvs so much more than pickups. been driving my grandpas tahoe for the past 4 weeks and i had a s10 blazer for 2 years. this tahoe is bone stock. and its an LT. but ill post pics of it saturday if i do get it and then a new build thread will come into the works.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the z71 will live on. The tahoe was in very poor condition and the tranny wasntoo far gone for me to perchase. I dont know how that lady drives it 1.5 hours one way every day.

Sent from my 355 powered Galaxy Tab 3

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i have finally decided exactily what im going to do, for the most part. i am going to go back to TBI simply because it will be factory and getting all the parts and things to do it are very easy. i am going to be running vortec heads from a 98 tahoe. getting one of these two intakes, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-226018, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2116. and am most likely going with a RV cam from comp cams. still undecided exactly which one though, would like somebody to recommend which RV cam i should use. once i get my engine taken out and pulled apart ill decide if i am going to bore out the new block. imma go ahead and do some minor upgrades, might convert to roller rockers from an lt1/lt4. still all undecided. most likely ordering the intake this week or next week. also going to convert all the accessories back to stock so i will have a/c and oil cooler and what not. any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

i might hold off on the body work till i can get the motor done that way atleast she is drivable. as of right now she aint and is just sitting in my grandpas yard. ill be posting later on today of some gmt400s i saw in tennessee the past couple of days.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just ordered my intake and tbi adapter plate from summit. going to the junk yard next week some time to get all the serpentine accessory drives ie: a/c bracket and compressor, altenator bracket, all the pullys, the tensioner, and what ever else i need. getting the tbi unit itself. im thinking about doing the ultimate tbi mod to it before i put it on the motor just to go ahead a get that extra pit of performance and it should help with the new intake and heads. im still trying to figure out the cam thing but i think that i am going with this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-207-2/overview/make/chevrolet . if yall have another recommendation i am open, i am also looking at this cam http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1991&gid=338

im trying to gain a bit of power but i am also trying not to kill mpg actually trying to gain a little back, as i dont get but maybe 8. if that i havnt checked it. all i know is that it sucks.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My intake and my TBI adapter came in from summit today. Just ordered it yesterday. Went to the junk yard today and picked up all my brackets for serpentine. All I need now is the TBI all the wiring, the crank pulley, and a few other things. So hopefully soon I'll be rollin in a almost brand new truck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also got new distributer and new plugs and wires. The truck I was pulling things from was a 92 extended cab dually. With the small block. Don't really know what happened to it but it had a full tune up just before the junkers got it.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started putting all the brackets on. I need complete wiring harness for under the hood and crank pulley and serpentine belt then I should be operational. On the other hand when I get the crank pulley I can swap out alternators and plug it back up the way it was and She'll be drivable. Also might be getting some kodiac/topkick door handles. A few other things I got the other day at the junk are a factory 1992 owners manual and a rear view mirror. Once I get her back on the road and operational I'll continue the body work. Also I'll prolly need a new battery in the near future. Mine is only getting as high as 11.60 volts. Guess that's what I get from letting my red top die. But I have high hopes, the battery in my blazer lasted over a year at half power before it left me and started oozing acid.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well got all my brackets put on. got my new alternator bolted on. got the a/c compressor bolted on also. went and got the crank pulley today and got it installed. since i am going to need the full harness under the hood we were searching for one at the junk yard today but no luck. so one of the harnesses we found was already cut up a little bit so we cut the the alternator plug and wires off of it and the a/c compressor plug and wires also. so i am going to wire that up tomorrow and see if everything will work. this is just temporary. as i am still going to need a new harness for when i do the motor build and go back to tbi. until then this will have to work. but for the problem at hand i have to get a new fan clutch because the one i have is older style and it was a different bolt pattern than my water pump so i cant bolt it on. so i guess ill be headed back to the junkyard for a fan clutch if i cant find one in my grandpas shop. i never know what i am going to find in there. thats where i found the brand new (delco reman) alternator that i have on my truck now. another thing that i got at the junk yard the other day that i dont think i have mentioned is a v6 air intake tube/hose. has a couple cracks but will be well worth it when it comes time to go back to stock.