LS1 sudden onset won't run right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With 454 ss wheels? I saw it on there and thought it was an odd but cool platform for an ls swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the crank pos. sensor...but it really sounds like it is in dire need of a good tune. could be that they have the wrong MAF sensor on there, some people swap to a bigger one or different type and the motor is searching for more or less air and it just runs like hell...searches for idle and will not run proper at all. Also, with the backfiring it could be a bad coil pack or wire that is causing a mis-fire. I would run the OBD codes and see where your issues start. If you dont have one yet...and have and android phone the TORQUE app paid version is WELL Worth it and the $20 Bluetooth adapter to diagnose issues. Very very handy.

Keep us updated.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
hybrid - yes -
You must be registered for see images attach

And those 454SS wheels WILL be for sale as soon as I buy some new shoes for it. :) Gotta sort out these running issues first, though.

Dave - thanks; I wouldn't be surprised if I dig into it and find something stupid like the hacked-up wiring failed somewhere that a crimp connector or a piece of tape let go while it was sitting. The harness is stretched, snaked, ran around tight bends and sharp edges everywhere, it's a disaster. For example, the first thing I fixed on the harness was where the power to the e-fans had a maxi-fuse just hanging in mid-air with crimp terminals; the plastic body of the fuse had broken apart but the fuse element was still intact. Stupid thing was it was fused about 4" from its power source - the fused aux post on the convenience center.

I'm kinda doubting the MAF as it ran strong previously other than the surging idle in closed loop. Even if the MAF went bad suddenly or was damaged by the backfire, shouldn't I be able to get it to run reasonably well with the MAF unplugged? Because that makes it much, much worse.

Skylark had responded to me over on LS1truck and had suggested Torque and the adapter as well; I looked and saw that Torque Pro is available for BlackBerry so I ordered the adapter which should be here next Thursday. Seems like a database error over at LS1truck ate the last couple replies to that thread though.

Richard

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hybrid - yes -

And those 454SS wheels WILL be for sale as soon as I buy some new shoes for it. :) Gotta sort out these running issues first, though.

Dave - thanks; I wouldn't be surprised if I dig into it and find something stupid like the hacked-up wiring failed somewhere that a crimp connector or a piece of tape let go while it was sitting. The harness is stretched, snaked, ran around tight bends and sharp edges everywhere, it's a disaster. For example, the first thing I fixed on the harness was where the power to the e-fans had a maxi-fuse just hanging in mid-air with crimp terminals; the plastic body of the fuse had broken apart but the fuse element was still intact. Stupid thing was it was fused about 4" from its power source - the fused aux post on the convenience center.

I'm kinda doubting the MAF as it ran strong previously other than the surging idle in closed loop. Even if the MAF went bad suddenly or was damaged by the backfire, shouldn't I be able to get it to run reasonably well with the MAF unplugged? Because that makes it much, much worse.

Skylark had responded to me over on LS1truck and had suggested Torque and the adapter as well; I looked and saw that Torque Pro is available for BlackBerry so I ordered the adapter which should be here next Thursday. Seems like a database error over at LS1truck ate the last couple replies to that thread though.

Richard

I would check the wires going to the crank sensor. I don't know how they have the harness run but assuming it's a reworked stock harness there is a good chance the wires may be broken or pulled out of the connector.

I say this because when I modified my stock harness the crank sensor wires were stretched really tight coming around the back of the block. I had to lengthen the wires. It would make sense to think that with engine heat and vibration that when you parked it for a few days that the wiring or connector may have gave up.

This is the only thing I can think of really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool keep us updated man..Like you said if the harness is hacked up and such, you might be in for a lot of gremlins. Make sure that none are touching heat sources too...very possible one is getting burned through and causing the issue.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
hybrid - yes -

Richard

I was banned for a little bit but now I'm back as for the MAF your right if you unplug it and it's bad it should run the same or maybe even a little better not worse. The Torque app is great for the price I use mine all the time I think I'm going to buy a touch screen with bluetooth for my car so I can use it for guages

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help you out here Richard but I do want those wheels when you are ready to sell!

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I'm a hair closer to Austin than Houston. Know where La Grange is?

Sent from my Nintendo 64

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes sir, know it well. Not terribly far especially since I'm on the West side of Houston, maybe meet in the middle if we make a deal.

I'll actually be going to Austin near the end of this month but dunno if I'll have the wheels loose by then.

Richard