LS1 sudden onset won't run right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
That works for me considering I'll be fairly busy til probably next month. I would definitely be happy to meet you halfway if we strike a deal. Thanks.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
GOT IT...or at least, got it back to its former condition of mostly running other than the surging idle and whatever other issues. The MAP sensor was blown out of its hole. So whatever caused the backfire appears to be an isolated incident, but it popped the MAP out. I started to wonder about it when I considered what seemed to be a big vacuum leak. Anyway plugged it back in the hole and it's behaving much better now.

Waiting for my ELM adapter so I can actually start reading this thing and see what else is up. Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Richard

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Good deal, now you just need to figure out what caused that backfire lol

Sent from my Nintendo 64

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it going. And I agree with thunderstruck. Maybe over revved a bit? haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Naw...live in a pretty residential area, was driving it plenty tame for the last few miles home before shut-off. When I went to start it up a couple days later, just turned the key and the moment it caught, BANG! Stalls, smoke from under the hood. Pop hood, check it out, try to start again and it was running like crap. So who knows. It's definitely not tuned, possibly has several issues that need to be addressed, so hopefully this ELM bluetooth adapter and using Torque Pro on my phone will at least show me some useful codes and give me a starting point.

The position of that MAP sensor plus how close the engine is to the firewall, combined with the general condition of everything under the hood made it kind of like laying down in a nest of porcupines just to see what was going on...yeah. I think I might loop a zip-tie around that sucker. It doesn't exactly sit in there very tight.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
My vortec 350 does this from time to time. Never lost a map from it tho. I figure my injection spider is leaking causing mine.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got the ELM adapter and downloaded Torque; I was able to read data connected to my '06 300C SRT8 but so far can't make connection on the Suburban. The little red indicator light in the adapter comes on so the ALDL still has power connected (most of the truck's original harness is still in place), but no communication. Guessing the harness hack is the issue, ALDL not connected to the LS1 PCM. More fun...

Richard

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the ELM adapter and downloaded Torque; I was able to read data connected to my '06 300C SRT8 but so far can't make connection on the Suburban. The little red indicator light in the adapter comes on so the ALDL still has power connected (most of the truck's original harness is still in place), but no communication. Guessing the harness hack is the issue, ALDL not connected to the LS1 PCM. More fun...

Richard

Should be a single wire the runs from your obd port to the PCM, on mine it was purple. That wire needs to be connected to communicate to the PCM.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm gonna have to dig into the wiring diagrams for a minute and hook it up. Just every time I look at the mess under there I wanna kick someone in the ass...probably myself, for buying the stupid thing. :D

Richard

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol I know how that is, post a pic I am interested to see this mess under the hood.