How To Run Parking Lights as DRLs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to hook up the amber parking lights to run as DRLs instead of the headlights?

My goal is that the amber parking lights are running anytime the truck is running, I think the GMT400 looks great with those lights on (see my signature). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
^ LOL. :rofl:

That's what I do....I had a similar idea, but mine was to make the high beams the DRL and putting an Amber bulb in there.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wire the tan wire from the plug in for the drivers side dim bulb to the brown wires for each driver side parking lamp socket but not the corner lights. Then the same on the other side. Now when your parking lamps are on all the time they will only be at 60% power since that's how DRL works. When you run the tan wire to the brown wires you are gona cut the brown wire and then have two ends, those 2 ends have to be connected to the tan wire or when you turn on your head lights your parking lights will turn off.

Can't be done now that I'm thinking about it.. Your DRL wire will be sending power to the parking light bulb but since the DRL doesn't turn off till the head lights are turned on that means when your running lights are on it too will be pushing power. So when you turn on your running lights you will always blow out your bulbs.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Wire the tan wire from the plug in for the drivers side dim bulb to the brown wires for each driver side parking lamp socket but not the corner lights. Then the same on the other side. Now when your parking lamps are on all the time they will only be at 60% power since that's how DRL works. When you run the tan wire to the brown wires you are gona cut the brown wire and then have two ends, those 2 ends have to be connected to the tan wire or when you turn on your head lights your parking lights will turn off.

Can't be done now that I'm thinking about it.. Your DRL wire will be sending power to the parking light bulb but since the DRL doesn't turn off till the head lights are turned on that means when your running lights are on it too will be pushing power. So when you turn on your running lights you will always blow out your bulbs.

Thanks for the info!

I wonder if there's a way to hook them directly into a switched power port so that they run whenever the engine runs....but then would they still be able to blink with the turn signals?

Does each bulb have two wires running to them?

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
you could simply figure out what wire feeds them power when the switch is on, then you can run it in the panel under the dash that supply power ( i forget what they call that panel, its not the fuse box) and run it on the ignition, so when ever your key is turned, it turns the lights one. as far as blinking, im not sure what would happen there...

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Parking lamp
-Brown/running light wire
-blue/blinking wire
-black/ground

Headlight lamp:
-tan/DRL
-Lt green/dim
-black/ground

I have an idea if you have the high 4 mod on your headlights.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
you could simply figure out what wire feeds them power when the switch is on, then you can run it in the panel under the dash that supply power ( i forget what they call that panel, its not the fuse box) and run it on the ignition, so when ever your key is turned, it turns the lights one. as far as blinking, im not sure what would happen there...

That's a good thought, I think if I'm strategic about where I spice power in that may just work...

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
-Brown/running light wire
Parking lamp-blue/blinking wire
-black/ground

-tan/DRL
Headlight lamp-Lt green/dim power wire
-black/ground

I have an idea if you have the high 4 mod on your headlights.

I don't have it yet, but what are you thinking?