Replacement Exterior Lighting Assemblies, TYC vs DEPO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures @east302! That's awesome!

Both look great but as I suspected, I think I like the DEPOs a little more.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I first time I replaced a twilight housing, on my 90' s trucks, I took a chance on TYC. And you know the quality was good, fit, Finnish, highly polished lens. It even came with new bulbs installed. I've used six of their replacements and I'll keep using them for a taillight assembly.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have Eagle Eyes brand taillights on the Burb, and they're lighter and thinner than the factory Guide units. But they're still just as shiny as the day I installed them, in 2018! I think they are made by TYC and sold under the different name; I bought them and the headlights (which are still pretty clean looking as well) at different times that year from a parts distributor in SW Houston that used to sell over the counter to walk-ins. Headlights were ~$37 each, tails ~$21 each.
And in both cases, they were plug and play; all bulbs included and installed.....
The beauty of a design used across the platform for so many years.....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see the big deal. The orginal GM lights would have the writing on them too.

There is no big deal. :lol: I'm just nerding out.

It's not the presence of the text that bothers me, it's where TYC chose to put it on the corner markers. IMO it just draws attention being on the front edge of the lens like that. The text on the DEPOs kind of disappears into the checkering of the reflector.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
There is no big deal. :lol: I'm just nerding out.

It's not the presence of the text that bothers me, it's where TYC chose to put it on the corner markers. IMO it just draws attention being on the front edge of the lens like that. The text on the DEPOs kind of disappears into the checkering of the reflector.

Isn't GMs text in the same spot? I was looking at mine the other day and could swear it's the same. I'll look tonight when I get home, if I remember.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have TYC markers on my ‘95 (88-93 grille though) and I like the quality.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not OEM?

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whichever way you go, I'd prep and coat them before installation. They will look better for much longer with a little care.
Rough up the surface with some 400 then 800-1000 grit to give it a tooth. It will look evenly frosted when ready.
Then paint it with a clearcloat. I've used both epoxy style and UV cured style. I like the UV stuff, but either will do.

UV cured clear that I've used

Epoxy clear that I've used

I'm waiting on another can of the UV clear to arrive to refresh my original GM tail lights.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't GMs text in the same spot? I was looking at mine the other day and could swear it's the same. I'll look tonight when I get home, if I remember.

I'm pretty sure GM put it over the reflectors, more similar to the DEPOs. If you look at the first link Caman96 posted you can just barely see it through the bag in one of the pictures.

Why not OEM?

To be honest I hadn't even checked for NOS, I figured that finding all four corners in Chevy and GMC varieties would be impossible. I'll look into it more and see what's available.