Exterior handles plastic? metal? both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Going back to the original issue of the lock motor being too weak to unlock the doors...
Swapping the door handles isn't going to do anything. The motor doesn't work on the handle at all.

I'm fixing more than the automatic locks. I also mentioned one handle is scratched and one is cracked.

Reaction score
I bought my handles from Amazon and with a little engineering took the metal handle out of my old one and put it in the new plastic housing from Amazon, it looks great and works great. I have had so many times when I would park my Tahoe in the street someone tried to break into it and just beat up and cracked the handles. That's why I would buy the cheep ones. I've since moved and have not had to worry about that any more.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The only other option is an airbag isn't it? I've always hated that idea, for fear of the door frame being bent. I have enough wind noise already.
Yeah, or depending on how tight the door is, just a plastic wedge is often enough. If you don't go crazy there's no actual lasting bend in the door. If you do, then it's easy enough to throw a block of wood in the gap and push the bend back in place. The wedge and airbag (also known as an air wedge) just need to be used to gap the door slightly; some guys do a little too much.

Richard

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, it’s been my experience that the plastic exterior handles not only break easier, but more importantly to me, the lock cylinder often falls into the door, as they do not retain them well.

For that reason, I would only use the GM built metal ones.

I just replaced mine the other day. My driver’s side handle came with poorly machined threads, so check those first. Don’t wanna be like me and find out after connecting everything :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

Amazon had a GM replacement the next day for me.