Replacement Exterior Lighting Assemblies, TYC vs DEPO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been tossing around the idea of going back to factory style lighting on both of my '97s. I already have some new Arteb/GM Brazil headlights for both and I'm working on a factory third brake light for the red truck, but I'll be buying everything else. It's all discontinued from GM at this point so I'm trying to figure out what my best options are for aftermarket factory style replacements. I know TYC is pretty well known and reputed here, but there is one thing about their corner lights I'm not thrilled about. They have text that runs along the very edge of the plastic and IMO doesn't look great. Here's a picture of one, this is a lower but they do the same thing on all four for Chevy and GMC.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a picture of a Dorman corner for comparison, it looks like they put their text along the top or bottom edge of the reflector which IMO draws much less attention.

Unfortunately Dorman doesn't make all four of the corners for GMC any longer, so if I want everything from the same company it's either TYC or DEPO. Double unfortunately, I can't seem to find any clear pictures of the DEPO parts. This is the best I could come up with. It looks like they do their text the same way that Dorman does though, which is nice.

I also found this info in a 2018 post from Virgil on the CandlePower Forums on the subject. He thinks DEPO may be the better choice over TYC. I haven't been able to confirm his claim about DEPO supplying GM but I don't doubt it.

"Of the aftermarket makers, TYC and Depo are the two biggies, and their products generally aren't as completely awful as most of the other aftermarket brands. That said, all the aftermarket lights are a significant step (or numerous steps) down from original-equipment quality, performance and durability. See this damning report on a test by NHTSA of original, TYC and Depo versions of a variety of low-tech headlamps. Utter fail by the aftermarket lights; see pages 21 and 30 especially.

To be fair, Depo has come quite a long way since those tests were done. Their more recent knockoffs are considerably less crappy than their older knockoffs. TYC has made less progress, and I would definitely rank Depo above (better than) TYC, and the industry at large seems to agree with me on that, as evidenced by two points:

(1) When GM spun off their Guide Light division and it failed completely because their technology and quality was severely behind the state of the art, GM was left without a maker for a whole lot of replacement lights, which they now source, complete with GM logo and part number, from Depo...not from TYC.

(2) The new-look UPS delivery trucks introduced a number of years ago no longer have 7" round headlamps. Instead they have lamps originally designed for one GM car or another—an Oldsmobile or a Buick, I think. They're made by Depo (not TYC) and they seem to be holding up well."

I can't find any differences in the parking lights or tail lights between the two companies that would sway me one way or another cosmetically. The TYC stuff is a little cheaper than DEPO, but again not enough to concern me. Any input would be appreciated, I'm just trying to get the best looking and most durable parts available. If you have experience with either DEPO or TYC assemblies please feel free to chime in.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By law they're supposed to have the DOT/SAE imprint on them to be legal. Generally even many illegal lights have that info molded in. We use both Tyc and Depot in bodyshops and can guarantee both have that info or they wouldn't be getting installed. In that environment not supposed to install any non-DOT approved lights, and quite a few times I've turned down installing customer supplied aftermarket lights as part of a collision repair. The TYC and Depo seem to be of the same quality, not to say occasionally you don't get one once in a while that's a bit off. When you get them just be prepared to get them on so as not to miss any return windows in case you have an issue.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
By law they're supposed to have the DOT/SAE imprint on them to be legal.

Oh yeah, I figured that was unavoidable with factory style assemblies. I just don't like where TYC puts theirs on the corner markers for these trucks.

I realize this is an extremely OCD complaint that most people would never even notice, but it bugs me for some reason. IMO the location that DEPO and Dorman use is much less attention grabbing.

and nobody's going to judge you based on it.

But I'll know it's there, and I am my own worst critic. :lol:

I agree though, I know I'm probably making something out of nothing here.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The TYC and Depo seem to be of the same quality, not to say occasionally you don't get one once in a while that's a bit off. When you get them just be prepared to get them on so as not to miss any return windows in case you have an issue.

Appreciate that info coming from someone who's had hands on experience with both, thanks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If Depo is supplying GM, they're absolutely nothing to get excited about. I've got real GM headlight assemblies on both the SS's and they're garbage. Paid extra for no benefit. I know you're asking about corners but I'm speaking towards the dude you were quoting talking about quality in general. The clearcoat on these failed rapidly and one of the headlights the adjuster screw shattered when I touched it the first time new out of the box.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If Depo is supplying GM, they're absolutely nothing to get excited about. I've got real GM headlight assemblies on both the SS's and they're garbage. Paid extra for no benefit. I know you're asking about corners but I'm speaking towards the dude you were quoting talking about quality in general. The clearcoat on these failed rapidly and one of the headlights the adjuster screw shattered when I touched it the first time new out of the box.

Richard

That's a bummer.

The Brazilian GM/Arteb headlight housings for these trucks seem to have frequent adjuster issues as well, all six of mine needed quite a bit of persuasion to function properly (if at all) and IIRC one of the adjusters was completely broken out of the box upon arrival in the states.

Seems like none of the new production stuff is really as nice as the factory parts were back in the day, no matter where it comes from.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depo lenses, maybe two or three years old:

TYC, maybe six months old:

Dorman probably did you a favor by discontinuing their products. The TYC parts that I received were made in Taiwan (vs. China) but I don’t remember where the Depo was made. Both fit about as well as the factory parts.