Truck won't shift out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fixed it. I figured I would just try replacing the brake light switch. That was the problem. I am a little confused as the brake lights were still working.
while it is a single switch, there are multiple contacts inside. my '07 GMC sierra cruise control was inop due to a faulty brake pedal switch, but everything else was fine.

Greetings @wsuuwp,

@tpass nailed it -- there's fanout from the Stoplamp switch to the following circuits:

* BTSI - Brake Transmission Shift Interlock
* Cruise Control & CHMSL
* PCM/ECU -- TCC (Torque Converter Clutch)
* Antilock module

('95 GM C/K Truck Drivability, Emissions and Wiring Diagrams)

You must be registered for see images attach

More specifically, your observed symptoms would equate to having a failed switch between Pins 'C' and 'D' above. Meanwhile,
the Stop Lamps (aka: Brake Lights) are controlled by the switch between Pins 'A' and 'B'. In English, this shows that your
brake lights can be operating properly despite not being able to shift your truck out of Park.

By the way, thanks for coming back and sharing what it took to fix the 'can't shift out of the Park position' problem.
No doubt this thread will be a valuable troubleshooting resource for others searching for a fix for a similar issue.

Cheers --

Attachments

• '95 8A-110-2 turn hazard switch -- 1995_GM_CK_TRUCK_DRIVABILITY_EMISSIONS_AND_WIRING_DIAGRAMS.jpg
    '95 8A-110-2 turn hazard switch -- 1995_GM_CK_TRUCK_DRIVABILITY_EMISSIONS_AND_WIRING_DIAGRAMS.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 4
  • '95 8A-110-3 brake lights - 1995_GM_CK_TRUCK_DRIVABILITY_EMISSIONS_AND_WIRING_DIAGRAMS.jpg
    '95 8A-110-3 brake lights - 1995_GM_CK_TRUCK_DRIVABILITY_EMISSIONS_AND_WIRING_DIAGRAMS.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Crack the old switch open, it's easy, and you'll notice several pairs of leaf switch contacts inside. Most likely one is broken or has lost spring tension so it no longer makes contact. But, the arrangement inside will quickly show you why your brake lights still worked while other switch-dependent functions did not.

Richard

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
slide under the truck disconnect the shift rod on the side of the trans and try to change gears from there.... if it rotates with a decisive click its changing.. then your issue is the linkages.... B&M makes a good floor shift for trucks

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slide under the truck disconnect the shift rod on the side of the trans and try to change gears from there.... if it rotates with a decisive click its changing.. then your issue is the linkages.... B&M makes a good floor shift for trucks
He mentioned that he fixed it in post #8 but i told him the same thing - disconnect linkage and try running through the detents via the selctor independent of the shift linkage.