How To Run Parking Lights as DRLs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First you need the high 4 mod to start.

Cut the brown wires and wire nut the end that comes from the harness. You need to splice a wire into the Lt green wire so power continues to go to the headlight. Then cut the tan wire so power no longer goes to the light. At this point you have a tan wire and a Lt green wire. Splice each wire to 2 wires so you have 2 tan wires and 2 Lt green wires. The wire a Lt green and the tan to the brown on one of the parking light sockets, but DO NOT connect the brown wire from the harness. Then take the other tan and Lt green and wire those to the other parking light socket brown wire. Then do to the other side.

So now when your DRL are on they light the parking lamps and then when your dims come on your DRL turn off and you don't blow bulbs. Then because of the high 4 mod when you turn on your brights your dims come on and so do your parking lights. It all happens so quick you won't notice it.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Parking lights are really a PITA I think, still haven't gotten my mirrors figured out properly.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Check out my video on my YouTube channel in my sig..it's hard to explain without it, it's called "Tow Mirror Lights."

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out my video on my YouTube channel in my sig..it's hard to explain without it, it's called "Tow Mirror Lights."

Here is what I've figured out about that.

As you know if you try to send + into the - wire of an led it will not light up.
I noticed that your mirrors are led. The 194 bulbs in our corner lights are dual polar where as a led 194 bulb is single polar. Meaning the dual polar has 4 little wires in the single filament bulb, the single polar has only 2 little wires in a single filament bulb. That's why with led 194 bulbs you have to put them in and then turn it 180 degrees to get em to work. Put a led 194 buLb into your corner light and it acts the same but have absolutely no clue how to resolve it lol it acts like it is sending power backwards when the parking lights are off. And that explains the reasoning for the led strip in you mirror not lighting up when it seems to send power back wards.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My only idea...just came up with and haven't tried it...instead of wiring the - wire of your mirror lights to the brown wire of your corner light, wire it to the black wire from the parking light socket. May or may not work.

But the brown wire that is acting as a ground really just sends the power to the running light of the parking lamps which is where I think it screws up

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Dude ya'll are thinkin way to deep into this. K.I.S.S keep it stupid simple.
For the parking lamp DRL. Just find the power coming out of the DRL box cut and splice new wire from there to behind headlamp switch brown wire. Doing this to mine soon. As far as I know that really shouldn't back feed through the switch. Might double check that soon.

Next blinking tows. run the supplied red/black wire from the mirror to the 2 wires in the corner markers 194 bulb plug. Blue and brown IIRC. Bam blinky blinky. spent an hour and a half one night pissing with mine to find the right combo
Good luck guys post up results for us.

CrewCab Steve

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude ya'll are thinkin way to deep into this. K.I.S.S keep it stupid simple.
For the parking lamp DRL. Just find the power coming out of the DRL box cut and splice new wire from there to behind headlamp switch brown wire. Doing this to mine soon. As far as I know that really shouldn't back feed through the switch. Might double check that soon.

Next blinking tows. run the supplied red/black wire from the mirror to the 2 wires in the corner markers 194 bulb plug. Blue and brown IIRC. Bam blinky blinky. spent an hour and a half one night pissing with mine to find the right combo
Good luck guys post up results for us.

CrewCab Steve

With all do respect you are wrong about the DRL.

Reason is that the DRL do not turn off when you turn on the running lights. So when you turn on the running lights you have running light power and DRL power which then you blow your bulb, already said that... And as for making it complicated, it wasn't complicated because I was saying exactly what wires to use rather that your comment of just find the wires.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I go back to my simple solution, unplug the drl fuse and turn on the marker lights via headlight switch, no point spending a day tryin to figure it out when you can unplug the fuse in less than 30 seconds