Gt45 t4 turbocharger on stock 350 tbi 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The motor is going to machinist in a month. He's gonna do all the motor work. It'll be completely rebuilt n bored. New everything. I bought everything pretty cheap on ebay. I got some junkyard vortec heads and in intake. But cam comes with everything to rebuild the heads new. Is a junkyard eaton m90 and gt45 t4 turbo and the headers come with the turbo of eBay. I just need a know what else I need for turbo. I got the turbo and turbo headers. What else do I need?
It sounds like you want to run a turbo and a supercharger together or am I reading it wrong? That would be redundant, a lot of work and expense and you still would likely only get the effects of one or the other but not both. The kit that you showed looks like it only addresses the exhaust aspect and not the intake , so you are going to have to get your intake set up, upgrade your injectors, computer and sensors. New camshaft and some exhaust work, too.. You are also probably going to have to drop your compression some so new pistons. Altogether, I'm guessing that the cost of the bargain turbo is about 1/10 of the cost to get it to work properly.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going 383 stroker and swapping tbi to Quadra jet carb. With a mild flat tappet cam with eaton supercharger. Got all the parts. I have the ability to do the turbo so I'm gonna fab that before it goes to machinist. Just want something fun to do with my son. He likes goin to the drag strip. Just want something to drive on the dragstrip lol I wanna make it so there no chance I can blow my motor up after it's bored and flat tops are installed

And you didn't think that was worth adding in the original post? If you're doing a turbo after a carb swap then it's a standard turbo setup.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you want to run a turbo and a supercharger together or am I reading it wrong? That would be redundant, a lot of work and expense and you still would likely only get the effects of one or the other but not both. The kit that you showed looks like it only addresses the exhaust aspect and not the intake , so you are going to have to get your intake set up, upgrade your injectors, computer and sensors. New camshaft and some exhaust work, too.. You are also probably going to have to drop your compression some so new pistons. Altogether, I'm guessing that the cost of the bargain turbo is about 1/10 of the cost to get it to work properly.
Actually.....set up properly a blower and turbo can work well together. Lancia did it on a Group B rally car, and those were some of the nastiest cars ever made. The boost from the blower is immediate which allows you to run a bigger turbo with no lag.

Not at all what the op was gonna do, he sounded like he was drunk tbh, but the combo can be effective.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually.....set up properly a blower and turbo can work well together. Lancia did it on a Group B rally car, and those were some of the nastiest cars ever made. The boost from the blower is immediate which allows you to run a bigger turbo with no lag.

Not at all what the op was gonna do, he sounded like he was drunk tbh, but the combo can be effective.
You'll have to give me some pointers on supercharging my turbo'd car. Really looking forward to blowing the main caps out the oil pan experimenting. lol.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It does work, but then came anti-lag and everyone jumped on that.

It's no different than sequential turbos. One for quick response and one for high rpm power.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A boosted blower has been done by detroit. The old 2 cycle diesels had a blower, then turbo was added. It works. Sized correctly, it's ok. However, I'm no fan of the roots style blower. It takes too much power to turn them.
In my opinion, if you want boost, turbo it. Want more? Add more turbo(s).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two-stroke Detroit Diesels weren't really two-stage supercharging. The blower was needed just to get the engine to run.

You can also think of it like electricity, you can either run the superchargers in series or in parallel. Sequential turbos are a parallel setup, with different sizing and each turbo serving at different rpms. Ball-bearing turbos spool much easier and have made sequential setups kinda obsolete. You can now run that big turbo and it will spool right off idle.

Two-stage supercharging is putting two superchargers/turbochargers in series. The second charger takes the already compressed air and compresses it further. It's really just added complexity, because you can boost all your engine can handle in a single stage. Nobody that I can think of in serious racing runs two-stage supercharging.

And you can also do a series/parallel setup. Anybody remember Rick Dobbertin's J2000 with a single supercharger in front of the crank feeding into the two superchargers on the pent-roof intake manifold?

I used to work on four-stage air compressors and two-stage self-generating nitrogen carts. Both produced a final pressure around 4000 psi. They were finicky machines. I wouldn't want that jankiness under my hood.