Gt45 t4 turbocharger on stock 350 tbi 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
sorry man i dont know where to start correcting yall on this one. anyways its been done but before you dive into this i suggest you spend alotttttt of time on gearheadefi.com to learn some tuning and the turbo forums to understand the basics at the least. theres some very step by step basic mathematical guides to all this.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The motor is going to machinist in a month. He's gonna do all the motor work. It'll be completely rebuilt n bored. New everything. I bought everything pretty cheap on ebay. I got some junkyard vortec heads and in intake. But cam comes with everything to rebuild the heads new. Is a junkyard eaton m90 and gt45 t4 turbo and the headers come with the turbo of eBay. I just need a know what else I need for turbo. I got the turbo and turbo headers. What else do I need?
I don't understand what you're asking. None of what you're saying makes sense.
If all you want to do is mount the turbo then the eBay kit is all you need. If you want it to work, you'll need plumbing. If you want it to work safely depending on boost level you'll need plumbing, intercooler, boost control, fueling mods, lower compression, and a way to retard timing.

On another note, coming here asking (very incoherently) for help and then going all keyboard tough guy doesn't typically work well. Folks are willing and able to help you, but if we can't tell wtf it is you're trying to accomplish then our help is gonna be limited.

Good luck.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bone stock 350 tbi that I'm gonna put a gt45 t4 turbocharger with the included headers on it.
Have you done the math to see if that's the turbo you want? What size is it? What's the horsepower capability? What's the A/R ratio? If you size it wrong, you could produce boost at idle and get boost creep and pop your motor on the first fire.

The motor is going to machinist in a month. He's gonna do all the motor work. It'll be completely rebuilt n bored. New everything. I bought everything pretty cheap on ebay. I got some junkyard vortec heads and in intake. But cam comes with everything to rebuild the heads new. Is a junkyard eaton m90 and gt45 t4 turbo and the headers come with the turbo of eBay. I just need a know what else I need for turbo. I got the turbo and turbo headers. What else do I need?
Oof. So much to unpack here.

Why are you boring your motor? If you don't have any bore taper (not common on these later engines), just hone it and go. Boring requires new pistons. If you do have to bore it, keep your compression low and it will give you more of a safety margin for boost.

Junkyard Vortec heads? Rebuilding the engine with a good set of aftermarket heads would give you about as much of a power boost as the turbo. You're not going to turbo this motor like an LS and make 1,000 hp. If you get over 500 hp you're already in danger of blowing the block apart. These older motors have a much weaker bottom end.

Check those junkyard Vortecs CAREFULLY for cracks, especially between the valve seats and plug holes. About half of the heads I've found in junkyards are cracked, and many of them weren't visible until the machinist magnafluxed them.

You never mentioned an Eaton M90 before. What's up with that? Are you planning on two-stage supercharging? That's way above your experience level, and it's not worth pursuing on this engine. Never mind that an M90 is better suited to a V6. I have one sitting on my shelf from a Jaguar XJR that I'm hoping to eventually install on my 1.2 liter rotary engine.

I'm not going to tell you not to do this, but I will tell you that from what you've already said, this is well above your skill level, and it's going to require a metric crap-ton of persistence and patient learning. Don't assume we're being d!cks if we tell you what you don't want to hear.

What you're going to need:

You're going to need either a carburetor hat and sealed carb, a carb box, or an EFI system with a MAP sensor that will work with boost. If you don't already know tuning, you're going to need to hire a pro. You can very easily pop your motor on the first start if you get it wrong.

You're going to be DIYing your own intake tubing.

You're going to have to plumb the turbo for oil and possibly for coolant.

There is no "Easy" button on this.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want the turbski, save your money on the machinist and throw the 350 away and get a junkyard LS, gap the rings and send it. A lot of people get away with not even gapping the rings.

The hotside of the GMT800 turbo kits will work.

I've you're not going nuts with boost I've seen people use silicone elbows for all the bends on the cold side. I built mine out of a cheap Summit Racing stainless exhaust kit.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Have you done the math to see if that's the turbo you want? What size is it? What's the horsepower capability? What's the A/R ratio? If you size it wrong, you could produce boost at idle and get boost creep and pop your motor on the first fire.

Why are you boring your motor? If you don't have any bore taper (not common on these later engines), just hone it and go. Boring requires new pistons. If you do have to bore it, keep your compression low and it will give you more of a safety margin for boost.

Junkyard Vortec heads? Rebuilding the engine with a good set of aftermarket heads would give you about as much of a power boost as the turbo. You're not going to turbo this motor like an LS and make 1,000 hp. If you get over 500 hp you're already in danger of blowing the block apart. These older motors have a much weaker bottom end.

Check those junkyard Vortecs CAREFULLY for cracks, especially between the valve seats and plug holes. About half of the heads I've found in junkyards are cracked, and many of them weren't visible until the machinist magnafluxed them.

You never mentioned an Eaton M90 before. What's up with that? Are you planning on two-stage supercharging? That's way above your experience level, and it's not worth pursuing on this engine. Never mind that an M90 is better suited to a V6. I have one sitting on my shelf from a Jaguar XJR that I'm hoping to eventually install on my 1.2 liter rotary engine.

I'm not going to tell you not to do this, but I will tell you that from what you've already said, this is well above your skill level, and it's going to require a metric crap-ton of persistence and patient learning. Don't assume we're being d!cks if we tell you what you don't want to hear.

You're going to need either a carburetor hat and sealed carb, a carb box, or an EFI system with a MAP sensor that will work with boost. If you don't already know tuning, you're going to need to hire a pro. You can very easily pop your motor on the first start if you get it wrong.

this is essentially what i was much too lazy to post.

IMO look up pocket on tgo and his m90 m112 remote mounted units. if your staying tbi you wont be pushing much boost through it. you need to make it blow through kinda, VAFPR, more injector tuning, updating ecm possibly. but itd be much easier once you understand the basics.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Junkyard Vortec heads? Rebuilding the engine with a good set of aftermarket heads would give you about as much of a power boost as the turbo. You're not going to turbo this motor like an LS and make 1,000 hp.

Check those junkyard Vortecs CAREFULLY for cracks, especially between the valve seats and plug holes. About half of the heads I've found in junkyards are cracked

Never mind that an M90 is better suited to a V6.

There is no "Easy" button on this
^^^^all the above

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

+2