Got some heartbreaking news today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nothing wrong with a labor of love if it brings you enjoyment and you can afford the extravagance. I've seen some amazing wreckage restoration that only happened because the labor was free/traded.

Terrick down Under

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tend to agree with a few above responses.
Everyone is ok, great.
The damage looks bad. not so great.
If you have friends and the time, you can rebuild it.
Just make sure you check the rails with the body off, then plan your attack.
There is more than enough help and advice on here to make a GOOD job of it.
If it was down here, I would be rebuilding it. Would make a great project that you could add all the things that you really like while you are doing it.
So, if you love the truck and have the help....DOIT!

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was what the thumbs down was towards. You're probably right, financially it may make no sense. But to some, not all ,they are far more than just sheet metal.

Not trying to give you in particular a hard time, just didn't agree is all :cheers:
I understand what you're saying, and I don't blame him at all for wanting to rebuild the truck.
What I was kind of getting at is that if he wants to fix it, letting insurance total it then buying it back would be a better course of action than letting his mechanic try to bring it back to the condition it was previously in. Especially since I kinda doubt that his mechanic, who was doing transmission work, is much of a body guy.
No worries.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys I really love these responses even if some I hate to hear but I appreciate the honesty. Praying for the best but preparing for the worst. I don't have any new information today except we know where we can get a bed for free. Got a second shade-tree mechanic's opinion and he is almost certain it will be totaled but he doesn't think it will need a cab but that is a long ways off. Going to try to get a receipt of the new paint job from two years ago and all the new mechanical maintenance as far back as I can go. It's just a crap shoot to try to appease the adjuster. Would a '95 cab with 100% of the interior intact be a direct swap?

You must be registered for see images attach

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, and I don't blame him at all for wanting to rebuild the truck.
What I was kind of getting at is that if he wants to fix it, letting insurance total it then buying it back would be a better course of action than letting his mechanic try to bring it back to the condition it was previously in. Especially since I kinda doubt that his mechanic, who was doing transmission work, is much of a body guy.
No worries.
Yessir you're right that's the current thinking. If it's totaled we won't have a choice. My wording may have been a bit confusing, but when I said he'll take care of it I mean wether its totaled or not he will be replacing the bed and cab if need be for free and then covering/agreeing upon a trusted well known body shop to paint it. Truck has full coverage and mechanic also has insurance.

Next step is finding out if it's totaled. From there, everything will get clear and we will have a plan.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Different states have different policys but in Ma. if a vehicle is over 10 years old and totaled the owner can settle with insurance and buy back for salvage value. It then gets an owner retainer title which is different from a salvage and exempts repair reinspections from the state. Don't have to reregister or retitle.
The insurance will pretty much have to total your truck as once they decide to repair the shop will kill them with supplements after tear down. Two ways for a good fix 1. cap swap and worry about getting VIN tags properly installed 2 get a used uniside off a rust free truck spend a day drilling spot welds to prep and replace the whole side from floor out in one piece. I would splice the A pillar rather that replacing windshield. I did a Colorado last year that was hit like this but it was a single cab so less work.

Last edited:

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
That was what the thumbs down was towards. You're probably right, financially it may make no sense. But to some, not all ,they are far more than just sheet metal.
I bought my powerstroke after it was wrecked. I've completely gone through it and spent enough that I could have bought a 6.7 or newer dmax. But if I wrecked it I would rebuild it again and again. It was my first project truck and I'm never getting rid of it.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
any year cab will be a direct fit and work. just swap all the wiring. the newer cab will have a lot of BS, like airbags. just get rid of it. use only what's needed.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
3rd door swap would be awesome. Can't live without my 3rd door. So sorry to see your truck damaged, glad everyone was fine, could have been worse. At least you get to keep your truck and fix it up. :waytogo: I love to see people like that who wouldn't give their truck up, no matter what situation happened. :cheers:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's too bad. I would definitely hold the mechanic fully responsible for the damage.

Good luck!