Got some heartbreaking news today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your dad the insurance agent got tboned by a police Tahoe. Bet they had a few laughs about that at the cop bar lol. Glad everyone is ok. Sorry bout the truck man. They made a million of em though, only one dad.
Well actually it was the mechanic that was driving it, dad the insurance guy owns it, and the cop was the the one that hit it. I guess the irony is pretty funny but yeah man I'm just glad everyone is okay.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glass half full says 3rd door cab swap.... hate to see such damage to a truck clearly loved by its owner. Look forward to the rebuild

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you haven't put a set of gauges on the rails, or a laser measurement yet, I pretty much guarantee that it will have side sway even if not visible to the eye.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's hard to believe how that newer Tahoe just crumpled away, of course that's how they're designed to absorb crash forces but still... I love our 400's. You truly have my sympathy. I'd be devastated if anything happened to mine. I've been slowly working on it since I got it in 2004 when I was in high school. I'm always changing something on it. I plan on finally painting it this summer before my wedding so I can drive it then. Your truck's damage really doesn't look very deep. If the frame is straight you should be good. If it does get totaled you might be able to cab swap it as others have suggested. Find a 3rd door cab from another 400. You may have a different VIN then. Of course this is partly hypothetical. I'm glad everyone is okay. I'm sure your mechanic feels awful though. Either way it'll all sort out. Keep us posted!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, I hate to say it too, but a cab swap is the only way its going to be 100% again. Even if your body shop guy TRIES to make everything right again it wont be as good as a factory cab swapped onto your frame. And yea, might aswell upgrade to a 3rd door while your at it.

Hopefully your mechanic friend sticks to his word and isn't just saying things to make you feel better and backs out later when he sees how much time and money its going to take. Not to be a downer but I would get something in writing with that cop as a witness, that your mechanic will see the project through to the end. If he is against that idea, then he wasn't planning on ever fixing it in the first place.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What?
I'm not trying to be a downer or anything, but if that goes through insurance it'll definitely be totaled. That's thousands of dollars of bodywork. It'll need a whole new cab and bed to be right.
At the end of the day, it's just sheet metal. I'd be more worried about whether or not the mechanic is insured for this.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. 90halfton couldn't have said it any better, only one dad but over a million of these trucks. I'm glad everyone is OK. Prayers sent, I hope the truck isn't totaled. Good luck.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What?
At the end of the day, it's just sheet metal.

That was what the thumbs down was towards. You're probably right, financially it may make no sense. But to some, not all ,they are far more than just sheet metal.

Not trying to give you in particular a hard time, just didn't agree is all :cheers: