Got some heartbreaking news today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be short and frank. My '93 has been at our mechanic's shop getting a new torque converter, and was going to be done this week. I get home from work and my dad sets me down in the den and says "Son, ____ had a wreck in your truck today." You can imagine the preverbal glass shattering sound run through my head. He was taking it on a test drive and got distracted and ran a red light and was T-boned by a police Tahoe. No one was hurt, but the truck took it on the chin. The Tahoe is totaled. By the grace of God Almighty though, its all cosmetic. The bed, panel, and door are shot, but the frame and mounts aren't even phased. Insurance and our mechanic are going to take care of it, new parts and new paint. Seeing as there's no structural or motor damaged, I think the chances of it being total are slim to none, I hope. I'm still absolutely sick to death, but bad things will happen, and its all about how you face the adversary. Could've been 1000x times worse. It hit so perfect. An inch to the left and it would've popped my axle out from under me.

You must be registered for see images attach

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everyone please be careful out there. Updates as soon as I have them.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this but that is totaled. The damage to the cab is what's going to total it.
Well we have some things going our way, my dad is a head insurance agent and our mechanic is certified and he'll be the one there when the guy comes to check it out. I figured that quarter panel can be replaced.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Totaled only means that it cost more to fix it than 80 percent what the truck is worth. You can always buy it back from the insurance for a set price (maybe $500) and fix it your self, but then you will have a reconditioned title.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that but always try to turn a bad situation to a good one. I lost my ford to a wreck and at first I was bummed and then I was thinking about how I had several cars and I was better off with $600.00 a month in my pocket. Talked to the adjuster and he agreed to total the truck. Now I'm saving $500.00 a month for the kids college fund.
Maybe you can upgrade truck or something.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Unfortunately in Alabama it's 65% of the total value I do believe but we will just have to see I guess. Even if it is totalled, our mechanic (and longtime friend) said he will still fix it being him behind the wheel. No plans to sell fortunately. I'm trying to take this on the chin. When I pulled up to it at the shop I got out and just looked at it for 30 minutes and finally took a deep breath and told myself this is nothing. She'll be back.