Transmission acting weird today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i did a light pull maybe 4k rpm at the absolute most
and it was like
it made a sputtery sound and was like delaying going into the next gear
then it felt weird

i was like 3/4 throttle and my speedometer kinda lagged and it just felt really off and it didnt wanna go more than like 45mph
then it felt fine ish
but still delayish into 3rd
and i didnt wanna push it to see if it would
then later i got on it a bit to make sure it wasnt just me being hesitant and it seemed like it was delaying and not going into 3rd then i thought i was hearing some grindy noises but it could have been anything
but it didnt go into 3rd in the later pull this one here^
then i went inside my house pissed off for 15ish minutes
went back out drove it nice and it went into every gear just fine
Basically it seems like it is hesitant or will not go into 3rd under heavy acceleration but if i drive it nice it goes through all of the gears smooth what could some of my issues potentially be this was all very sudden like all of these events within at most an hour of each other am i looking at a new transmission?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
60 to my knowledge
Figured. Pull it now otherwise you run the risk of welding that 3-4 pack to the forward hub and completely melting the front gear train.

Make sure you pressure test the forward drum as they are known to leak at the base of the shaft and have internal apply fluid bleed into the case, causing repeat 3-4 failure shortly after rebuild.

Are you going to rebuild it yourself?

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured. Pull it now otherwise you run the risk of welding that 3-4 pack to the forward hub and completely melting the front gear train.

Make sure you pressure test the forward drum as they are known to leak at the base of the shaft and have internal apply fluid bleed into the case, causing repeat 3-4 failure shortly after rebuild.

Are you going to rebuild it yourself?
Not sure yet it would certainly be a great learning opportunity for me 17 and this is my first vehicle so i just havent had the time to learn as much as some mechanically but id like to rebuild it myself if possible

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure yet it would certainly be a great learning opportunity for me 17 and this is my first vehicle so i just havent had the time to learn as much as some mechanically but id like to rebuild it myself if possible
Gotcha - agree. If you can do it yourself you'll likely never have to depend on anyone else for transmission work for the rest of your life.

Ive built close to 2000 700r4s and 4L60Es, a little bit of which I put on youtube. Check out my 4L60E information thread (link in my signature) for specifics and instruction when the time comes. Let me know if you have any questions.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha - agree. If you can do it yourself you'll likely never have to depend on anyone else for transmission work for the rest of your life.

Ive built close to 2000 700r4s and 4L60Es, a little bit of which I put on youtube. Check out my 4L60E information thread (link in my signature) for specifics and instruction when the time comes. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you very much, will certainly be checking out your stuff when the time comes.