Transmission swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cherryred98

Reaction score
I have a 98 k1500, and the transmission just started slipping and not wanting to shift in its own so I pulled a transmission and transfer case from my uncles truck he is parting out. That truck is a 1994 k1500 z71, here is my delema, my 4l60e is the later model with the removable bell housing, the donor 4l60e is not, it’s almost like a th350 or something. I believe the bell housing and torque converter bolt up if not I probably can change the flex plate, but what about wiring? Will it all just plug in? Or is it different? On another note he started removing it before I got to it and he kinda messed up the plug, I don’t know if it is missing pins, a couple are bent I think I can straighten them out
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_6058.jpeg
    IMG_6058.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 2

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd change the in case harness out so the pin out was right fluid and filter since I'm there and go from that

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and by the way if that plug goes to leaking fluid it will fry that tranny another reason to change it

Cherryred98

Reaction score
I’m no transmission tech, what all does that consist of? Drop the pan, unplug the harness and swap it? Or do I have to remove the valve body and stuff

Cherryred98

Reaction score
I just watched a YouTube video on it
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’m just hoping that they are the same internally

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The '98 valve body is different to a '94. Would that be an issue? Can the '98 valve body fit into a '94?
No. Find a 93-94 valve body.
I just watched a YouTube video on it
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’m just hoping that they are the same internally
If you're referring to the harness, Rostra's, part number 350-0061, will service all years 1993-2002. Have some petroleum jelly on hand to lube the o-rings and plug bore for ease of installation.

Continuity test all your solenoids while the pan's off - replace them if they fail or as a preventative measure.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 k1500, and the transmission just started slipping and not wanting to shift in its own so I pulled a transmission and transfer case from my uncles truck he is parting out. That truck is a 1994 k1500 z71, here is my delema, my 4l60e is the later model with the removable bell housing, the donor 4l60e is not, it’s almost like a th350 or something. I believe the bell housing and torque converter bolt up if not I probably can change the flex plate, but what about wiring? Will it all just plug in? Or is it different? On another note he started removing it before I got to it and he kinda messed up the plug, I don’t know if it is missing pins, a couple are bent I think I can straighten them out
You need to find another 1998-2000 unit. GM went to a PWM TCC apply strategy in 1995 then made fairly significant changes to it in 1996-2000. So there's differences in the computer's TCU logic and corresponding differences in the valve body, pump and separator plate, 3-2 control solenoid and wiring harness. Unless you feel like adaptating that 94 unit to work in your 98 vehicle (meaning swapping all those parts I just listed in for 96-00 parts) You need to find a 98-00 unit that works.