Got some heartbreaking news today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Id be concerned about that too. Yours looks worse than mine and mine still broke that alignment pin that runs through the spring pack into the rear end. Sheared it clean off. I ended up with new to me leaf packs, a new rim, new alignment pins, and new shocks.. Although his lincoln was short enough that i ran over his hood, yours looks like it was a dam solid hit.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it still drive straight? I'd reckon that axle took a hell of a hit.
I haven't driven it but my dad drove it yesterday and claimed everything checks out. Said it's just weird when you look in the passenger rear view and see the whole back tire lol

RMH98

Reaction score
I had a 93 K1500 Blazer that was totaled. I bought it back for $280.00. Best money I ever spent. Sold the cold air intake kit for $100, and the truck for $1100.00. It was repaired and sold, and as far as I know, it's still on the road. Good luck with your truck, there are plenty of parts out there.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 93 K1500 Blazer that was totaled. I bought it back for $280.00. Best money I ever spent. Sold the cold air intake kit for $100, and the truck for $1100.00. It was repaired and sold, and as far as I know, it's still on the road. Good luck with your truck, there are plenty of parts out there.
Thanks buddy I appreciate that glad your case worked out as well.

1998RCSBZ71

Reaction score
Sounds like you already realize the way this is going to go; The insurance company WILL total this truck. It may be completely fixable, but they are all about the bottom line and they have no emotional attachment to this truck the way you do. I've been through this type of thing before, and if it goes for you the same as it did for me just be prepared to receive a low-ball settlement offer from the insurance company. I know you said your dad is an insurance agent, so you have his advice to lean on throughout this process. I'm guessing that they will hit you at the knees with their first offer, so just realize that this is what they are trained to do. Most people won't argue with them and they will just accept their first settlement offer. The insurance company obviously will try to get out of it as cheaply as they can. They will check online for similar trucks and what they are selling for, which probably won't even compare to the actual condition/value of your truck, and that is where they will get a value for your truck. Just try and get them to offer a better deal. I know in my case, and after some back and forth, I got a better deal and I got to keep my vehicle without paying anything to do so.
If it is the same everywhere else, before you will receive any kind of settlement check from the insurance company after they consider it totaled, you will first have to title the truck as being salvaged. If that is the case where you live, check and see what the requirements are to go from a salvage to a reconstructed title.
I live in Pennsylvania, so I'm not familiar with how things are in other states, but here once a vehicle has been filed as being salvaged, then it will have to be 100% correctly repaired and then go through a lengthy inspection process by a specially licensed garage for reconstructed vehicles (NOT Bob's Auto down on the corner with his state inspection license). You have to show where all of the parts were sourced from, and things have to be exactly as the factory would have had them before they will issue it a reconstructed title. Basically, if you modified anything from how it left the factory, it will have to be undone before a reconstructed title will be issued.
I don't know if the things I mentioned will come into play where you live, but I just wanted to mention it just in case.

Good luck to you!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Thats a lot of good information 1998RCSBZ71!! and a rock solid first post!! Welcome to the forum!

I never knew that it had to be 100% factory original to be a reconstructed title. Does that mean he cant upgrade to a 3rd door cab if he does a cab swap?? and since the VIN is inside the cab, how does that work for a cab swap? is he legal to switch VIN plates from one cab to another or is he stuck with the cab VIN and title? also is he legal to find a truck without a totaled title to do a cab swap and then he can have an un-salvaged truck with a clean title that came with the cab?

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
it'll be diiferent in different states. When I did one years ago in Georgia, there was no inspection, just some paperwork and I had my new tag and was good to go. I didn't even repair it.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I don't think Alabama has a reconstructed title. Just salvage.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No new information yet this week. Claim was filed and adjuster is supposed to be coming this week. Eager to get to get that over with so we can buy it back and the salvage work can finally start. Found a bed I can get for free. I made a post a long time ago about restoring a '95 that sat for years, interesting read, but I'm going to use its bed. Maybe cab if I have to. It's got a straight rear bumper and mine is previously warped so I'll get that too, so there's a plus. Funny how things work out sometimes.