Finally! GMT800 style towing mirrors on GMT400.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
seeing as he has 98 headlights in a 99, I would assume the bumper was also a cosmetic swap before I assumed it was a 6.5l.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend adapt those mirrors with his 99' Tahoe. I think that looks nice.
You must be registered for see images

Can you find out exactly where he got those from? They are a lot closer to the truck when collapsed than any others I've seen....

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
Can you find out exactly where he got those from? They are a lot closer to the truck when collapsed than any others I've seen....

Kinda defeats the point... don't you think?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda defeats the point... don't you think?

No that's why they extend out for towing.....

I like them just not keen on them being 20" out from the truck when collapsed, its a little much for me but those on the Tahoe are a little close. I would like them somewhere in between really....

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
He may have actually modified them himself? Neither the GMT800 nor the GMT900 have tow mirrors that short. And I haven't seen those online anywhere. I think they fit a stock height truck pretty well IMO

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He may have actually modified them himself? Neither the GMT800 nor the GMT900 have tow mirrors that short. And I haven't seen those online anywhere. I think they fit a stock height truck pretty well IMO

That's what I'm thinking too an I'd like to see how it was done. I wouldn't go that far, but for what I need they are too wide collapsed out of the box. IMO they would be perfect as wide collapsed as the stock mirrors are. That's where I would put them anyway

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking too an I'd like to see how it was done. I wouldn't go that far, but for what I need they are too wide collapsed out of the box. IMO they would be perfect as wide collapsed as the stock mirrors are. That's where I would put them anyway

I'm sure it would be easy enough to blow them apart to shrink them in a bit, but I seriously doubt you'd retain the sliding functionality, which is why I say you would defeat the point, as they are designed to be able to increase the visibility towing. I agree from a styling perspective if I designed them they'd be 2" narrower, but I'm not that picky, and all it takes to make them look like they fit is a 2" lift and 285s...

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya I'm to chicken to start tearing up $200+ worth of mirrors without knowing it will work first.

An 285's an 2" are on my list, so it will be ok either way. Just need some $$$$

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I'm sure it would be easy enough to blow them apart to shrink them in a bit, but I seriously doubt you'd retain the sliding functionality, which is why I say you would defeat the point, as they are designed to be able to increase the visibility towing. I agree from a styling perspective if I designed them they'd be 2" narrower, but I'm not that picky, and all it takes to make them look like they fit is a 2" lift and 285s...

The end of the slider could be cut off and a few inches could be cut off from the middle and the end could be epoxied back on to retain the sliding function; that's if you're confident enough to cut up a $200 pair of mirrors haha

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
The end of the slider could be cut off and a few inches could be cut off from the middle and the end could be epoxied back on to retain the sliding function; that's if you're confident enough to cut up a $200 pair of mirrors haha

Maybe. My concern would be the slide-stop mechanism, and what (if anything) is keeping the mirror from sliding other than friction. It felt to me like there was some kind of detent which you may or may not be able to replicate. Plus, I have the lit version, so I wouldn't want to screw up anything there. I think if you tore into them, you'd have to at least be willing to some out the other side with fixed mirrors. Though I do minimal towing, I'm personally not willing to because the advantage in these was that they ARE superior for towing..