Finally! GMT800 style towing mirrors on GMT400.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Finally! After years or people asking, and numerous people installing GMT800 mirrors that didn't correctly fit GMT400 trucks. Well, as some of you know, some ebay sellers started selling mirrors that apparently fit. After much debate, research, etc, I determined that the bases must be correct, and pulled the trigger on a set.

I bought the power, heated and side signal version for my truck. The goal was to put these mirrors on because the towing mirrors I currently have kinda suck. They don't extend out far enough to really see around my trailer, and they vibrate like crazy. Also, the horizontal mirror glass isn't as useful as a vertical mirror would be.

Few comparisons. My factory style CIPA towing mirrors VS the GMT800 style.
You must be registered for see images attach

I also modified the mirror wiring so I can use the side LED as a marker and signal light. I added the signal wires to the 2 empty sockets in the 8-cavity plug that came with the mirrors.

So, pull your door panel off. 95+ guys, you just have to remove the little triangle cover unlike the 88-94 trucks.

And remove the foam block, and 3-10mm nuts.

Bolt the new mirrors up. The actually designed these with a longer top stud, and brace that holds from the inner door structure.

Old mirrors

New mirrors (only one side done)

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Few detail shots.

Done!

So, overall they are great. Honestly I can't really tell any quality difference over an OEM GMT800 mirror, they are very solid. The signals IMO look awesome lit up as well. The bases are shaped almost perfectly for the truck, a little off in the front but nothing that is unsightly.

As of now, I have the wiring in the doors and under the kickpanel. I'll be wiring in the mirrors, heat and a power window switch from a first-gen S-series blazer. I still have to build the harness but that is going to completed over the weekend.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those look much better than the old ones. much more functional too.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those look really good. Nice write-up. How much did they run, if you don't mind me asking? I know yours is an '88 and you may not exactly know, but would that harness that comes with the mirrors plug into a factory power mirror harness?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im not sure if I hate or love you right now. I had made up my mind to go with the dodge mirrors, and even have them on order. Now that these fit right, idk if I should have gone with these

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I am also wondering if they plug right into the power mirror socket for the newer gmt400s. If not where do the plug into exactly.
looks good too

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Those look really good. Nice write-up. How much did they run, if you don't mind me asking? I know yours is an '88 and you may not exactly know, but would that harness that comes with the mirrors plug into a factory power mirror harness?
I am also wondering if they plug right into the power mirror socket for the newer gmt400s. If not where do the plug into exactly.
looks good too
Yes. If you order power mirrors you get a 4-cavity plug, if you order power/heated mirrors you get the 8-cavity (with 2 empty cavities). Heated mirrors on GMT400 trucks was a late and uncommon option however. The signals come with their own separate plug since no GMT400 ever came with them. So, they plug right in if you get the options you currently have. You could order heated ones and pull the pins from the 8-cavity plug and put them in your old 4-cavity, and wire the heated part separate, or modify your truck for a 8-cavity.

im not sure if I hate or love you right now. I had made up my mind to go with the dodge mirrors, and even have them on order. Now that these fit right, idk if I should have gone with these
I've always liked these better than dodge mirrors personally, however the dodge mirrors are also a good choice. They actually do take a bit more work to make work right, since you have to drill new holes and modify the bases slightly so they don't pinch the window, so they fit over the door rubbers properly, and re-shape the front plastic to match the gm contour. Another ****** with them is they are wired with 3 wires, where gm used 4, which makes a factory mirror switch operate a little differently.

This is, by far, the best writeup of installing dodge towing mirrors on a GMT400. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...nstall-98-01-Dodge-towing-mirrors-on-a-GMT400