Finally Doing It! 1999 K3500 Crew Cab SAS Build Up Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctchevy166

Reaction score

UPDATE

Good progress today. The truck is back on its own front wheels to say the least. Took it off jack stands around 9:00 PM Sunday. I just completed a full brake system flush and bleed. Pictures to come in the morning hours. Almost out of beer so that will be the first priority in the morning. Pretty happy with it so far. Crossover steering, driveshaft and exhaust modification are in the works now....

ctchevy166

Reaction score
Better late then never. Got the truck back outside this morning and torqued all the leaf spring bolts and u bolts down to specs. Spent all day dealing with exhaust and driveshaft fitment. Need to go pickup another pipe expander in the morning so I can finish that. The 454 is stupid loud with open manifolds:head: Got the cross over steering all measured out and ready to weld out. I also flushed and bled the brakes for a second time since I wasn't really happy with the pedal feel, much better now though. Panhard bar in the works, need to order the 7/8 tube adapters for that and get it installed. On to the pics...

Rear hangers measuring and installation

You must be registered for see images attach

Leaf springs lined up and installed

Sliding axle underneath! Boy did that thing put up a fight, spring center pins were off by a little still lined up ok and its perfectly centered in the wheel well.

Rolling it out on its own weight!

Crossover steering linkage fabricated with 1.50x .250 wall DOM with 1 ton tie rods and adjusting sleeves. Beginning stages of track bar also shown along with the driveshaft.

Shackle angle is ok. Might tweak that a little once it settles out. Springs already negative arch but the thing has a ton of droop. Was pretty surprised by that. Pitman arm also installed and torqued

The truck is exactly the height I wanted it to be, the back still needs to come up an inch or two but Im happy with it overall. Shocks to come this week, hopefully going with some Bilstein 5100 series. Need to measure that out and get them ordered. Still have a ton of work left to do, hopefully be driving it by the weekend if no issues arise between now and then. And its back to work tomorrow so time is limited. Will post update when I get more pictures.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks amazing man. I love it. Are you planning on cutting all the ifs garb off your frame?

ctchevy166

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes I started today on grinding/cutting it off. Wont be removing the UCA mounts or shock tower until I see how I can run a set of shocks up front. Might need to utilize one of those mounts!

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Looks killer man
On my ccsb I ran the shocks in the stock bracket with some shock tabs welded onto the axle. You're also not gonna want the axle centered in the wheel well, when you flex the front end the side that is going up pushes back towards the firewall. That is why I ran zero rates in the front and it didn't look that bad at all. I can post a few pictures of what it looked like with the axle pushed forward if you want.
Also I feel you on the open manifolds... When I finished my sas I had to be 100 miles away the next morning and finishing at 10 pm I didn't have time to finish the exhaust, that was the loudest 100 miles of my life.

ctchevy166

Reaction score
Thank you yeah post up pictures if you would. I have the offset 0RD zero rates actually. I'm just debating wether or not its necessary. After looking at the pictures from the last post I realized I installed my rear shackles backwards They are suppose to be offset for 36.5" spring width, damn it. I Can't believe I pulled that one off. I just got done flipping them around. So much for sleeping.