97 K3500 CCLB aka the Rolling Turd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roggeriv

Reaction score
I got the truck 2015 and have always loved the GMT 400 trucks! I also have a 95 k1500 SC step side with a bad motor with plans of getting it running one day.

Things I have gotten done to the truck since I have had it.

Replaced the fuel injectors from 5.0 motorsports. Replaced the upper intake manifold gaskets. Upgraded with bilstein B8 5100 shocks. Tinted windows with 5% tint. And of course general maintenance when I can. I don’t drive it very much and most of the maintenance is probably from not driving it a lot. For the 9 years I have owned it and put on around 15k miles on it. It has 158k miles right now.

It needs lots of love. There have been times where I was able to get stuff done and then life happens.

The latest is the kid took the truck to school and another kid smashed into the truck while it was parked in the parking lot. Cop said the kid was going close to 30 mph based on the damage to his car. Insurance company totaled the truck and I am currently trying to get it road worthy again. The insurance company actually gave me good money for my truck and I just couldn’t let it go to the scrap yard.

It needs at least an upper control arm and drop down upper control arm bracket due to the lift. CV axle, tie rods and center steering link. Body shop also says the frame got tweaked a little bit too.

It has leather neutral color interior with the typical wear from the era. Cracked torn seats. Carpet needs replaced. The rest of the interior isn’t too bad.

Needs tons of body work. For now I think it gives it that kinda patina charm.

After getting the suspension buttoned up, the transfer case needs some attention. Sounds and feels like a bad bearing.

It has been a real slow process for me. But I still have the trucks and dreams of what I want done to it.

Attachments

• IMG_2321.jpeg
    IMG_2321.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 10

Roggeriv

Reaction score
Got the truck on the road and had some other work done. After sitting for 6+ months some new issues have developed.

It has a small coolant leak and I think my fuel filter got plugged up. It drove fine and then I put some fresh gas in.
Tada fresh full tank and it struggled to go above 2000 rpm. It cleared up shortly after. But I still replaced the fuel filter.

Took it for a good drive and it was running fine.

I swapped the wheels from my 68. I didn’t feel comfortable with the damaged wheel from the wreck and the ones I swapped are in better condition.

New tires will be on by the end of the week. The old tires and current tires on it right now are way overdue to get replaced.

Had a new windshield installed and might tint it with 50%.

Swapped the grill from my 95 and installed new turn signals. Now I need to get the headlights addressed. They look out of place now.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 5

Roggeriv

Reaction score
Finally put on sway bar links. After over 7 years of not having them. It drove fine without them.

Last set I put on snapped after one day. They were the stock size and with the lift it needed a different length.

Ordered some that supposed to be compatible with the lift.

Not sure how long they will last. The bushings placement look sketchy. Pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 5