EGR delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
You could, but I don't see the point in doing it unless you're just plain bored. The single biggest thing the EGR system does is reduce pumping losses in the engine at cruise. Yes, it helps with emissions but that's secondary. It's only active under certain engine loads and throttle positions and can make a dramatic difference. Acquire datalogging software and you'll see what I mean by your MAP sensor readings.

can you explain what you mean it does? (reduce pumping losses in the engiine at cruise) im not familiar with it exactly

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
It won't matter enough to really worry unless you drive as much as I do. Worst case you'll probably lose 50 miles to a tank in summer. That's about the difference I saw with no highway mode in the tune. I go through 2-5 tanks of fuel per week, so it can add up.....

Okay, well I think I will pull the trigger on the Hookers tonight. I have procrastinated too long already.

Can anyone confirm which EGR block off I need? I am not familiar with these engines.

felon637

Reaction score
Yea it's good, aside from that whole thing about killing highway fuel economy. Have fun though! (you can't effectively tune an engine to run stable at high lambda without some sort of inert recirculation into the combustion process. whether it be via cam profile or EGR) That's really only an issue if you're worried about fuel economy though, otherwise ignore.

Translation

High Lambda: Fuel Enrichment

Fuel Economy: Buy a Prius

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Translation

High Lambda: Fuel Enrichment

Fuel Economy: Buy a Prius

I agree to a point, getting above 18mpg in an older V8 is just nonsense. However, with my limited budget, I cannot afford to get below 14mpg-ish. It doesn't matter how much power it has if it just sits in my driveway out of gas.

Found the intake plug: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12556596/

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Subscribed for before/after pics!!!

I agree the engine bay looks much cleaner without all the excessive emissions/fuel economy stuff. I won't be driving my DD enough to worry too much about fuel economy and I already have to use 93, so why not let it sip a lil more outta my wallet. ;)

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
EGR and PCV both put crap back in the intake, so you'd have to remove both to keep it clean. I removed mine just because I went with a carb intake...otherwise I would have kept it.

But FWIW, I did the EGR delete on my Beretta when I put headers on and didnt see a difference in highway mileage. I still get 32.

Yeah, the pcv delete is easy peasy and doesn't require any sort of tune, I always recommend people do it to keep oil fumes/blow-by from getting sucked back into the intake. At the same time though, with PCV hooked up, it keeps unburnt fuel from going past your rings and collecting in your oil. Kind of a 2-edged sword if you really stop to think about it. I haven't noticed a big difference in the lifetime of the engines that have run PCV and have deleted it, except the intake runners tend to be a bit dirtier.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Yeah, the pcv delete is easy peasy and doesn't require any sort of tune, I always recommend people do it to keep oil fumes/blow-by from getting sucked back into the intake. At the same time though, with PCV hooked up, it keeps unburnt fuel from going past your rings and collecting in your oil. Kind of a 2-edged sword if you really stop to think about it. I haven't noticed a big difference in the lifetime of the engines that have run PCV and have deleted it, except the intake runners tend to be a bit dirtier.

How would I go about deleting the PCV?

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Headers and EGR block off came in today and both look amazing. The headers do not have the hole drilled for the 02 sensor. Will they be okay like this, or do I need to have them drilled then plugged? I will post pics.

Fed-Ex man dropped off an interesting box.
You must be registered for see images attach

Headers look good for the price. Also included all needed hardware.

Intake style EGR block off.

Here is the bung I am talking about. See how it has a threaded collar welded on, but the actual header has not been drilled for the 02? Can I just leave it?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not bad but they are just black apinted and will burn off and rust almost right away.

if your o2 doesn't mount in that hole then leave it alone IMO.