1989 C1500, EGR, Headers Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Loose" white wire probably attaches to the (under-) hood light. Not the reel light by the battery, the one on the dark side of the hood almost directly above where the wire is grounded to the firewall.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The white wire was the ground to the under hood light. Apparently someone removed the light and left the wires hanging.(idiots) Take those wires off and store them if you ever to put a want to put one back on or toss them if you're not.

I'm guessing you still haven't downloaded the service manuals for your truck yet?

Last edited:

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The white wire was the ground to the under hood light. Apparently someone removed the light and left the wires hanging.(idiots) Take those wires off and store them if you ever to put a want to put one back on or toss them if you're not.
It has like a orange or red wire taped in it like fusible link? both are just grounds? Should I remove both the red and white off the firewall? Thanks you guy's very awesome help !!!!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No,the orange wire is the hot wire and is going to get you into trouble if you just leave it flopping around. Remove the batt. ground,get a socket and take it off. Put ground back on,done.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No,the orange wire is the hot wire and is going to get you into trouble if you just leave it flopping around. Remove the batt. ground,get a socket and take it off. Put ground back on,done.
Yes the hot red and white ground can BOTH come off? They both go to a orig under the hood light? Geez they had a hot wire just taped up with the white ground then...

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I" would reinstall the under-hood light, so that those wires could be useful again.

Heaps of under-hood lights in the Treasure Yard, and probably available "new" either as direct replacements, or "universal" lights.
The hot wire is one piece out from the bulb socket so he wouldn't need that one. It's still a good fusible link for something else that is low powered.