1989 C1500, EGR, Headers Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Am I to believe being a GM unit that IF it comes with the paste that it is NOT just Di E grease is all?

I don't think I would make that assumption.

Arctic MX-4 is $7 for a 2g tube, which is probably enough to do this job 10 times or more. Cheap insurance IMO, and almost certainly a better product than whatever is included with the new ICM (even if it is actually thermal paste and not just dielectric grease).

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GCRN83J

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The copper antisieze is a good heat conductor. Just don't use so much it gets on the terminals,it's a good electrical conductor too.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a hundred ways to do it right, and just a handful of ways to screw it up.

Yes, it's necessary. Don't try to run without it.

Use thermal paste, and not dielectric grease or copper antiseize. Sure, they might work, but use the right stuff. It's cheap and Amazon will deliver it right to your door.

More is not better. Put enough on to coat the surface. If it's thick enough to see, it's thick enough to conduct. Mop up the excess. You can just put a blob in the middle and hope it squishes out, but best practice is to smear it yourself so that you get it to the corner edges without having too much squish out in the narrower areas.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the new ECM today. Said to use the old Prom? Had two things to pull out and put in the new ECM. Still no signal on a code reader, and runs the same as the old ECM. Could those TWO chip things be bad from the old ECM that I had to put in the new ECM? Why is there TWO? when you look to buy them it just shows one to buy. IMMA lost !!! LOL

Stupid question.... If I unplug the ECM, would the motor still start up? Curious if it would still run the same as if it was plugged in as a test.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the new ECM today. Said to use the old Prom? Had two things to pull out and put in the new ECM. Still no signal on a code reader, and runs the same as the old ECM. Could those TWO chip things be bad from the old ECM that I had to put in the new ECM? Why is there TWO? when you look to buy them it just shows one to buy. IMMA lost !!! LOL

Stupid question.... If I unplug the ECM, would the motor still start up? Curious if it would still run the same as if it was plugged in as a test.
Not trying to be condescending but I think you're in over your head. The money you've spent now throwing parts at it could have been used to buy a scan tool and/or taken it to someone that has one and knows how to use it.
You've got a nice truck there,I hope you get it fixed before you run out of interest with it.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes!
You will probably need to find someone that knows these systems or get to studyin' up yourself.(recommended)
Looks to me like your cleaning up someone else's mess. Have you downloaded the manuals with the schematics listed on this site yet?
I'm a caveman when it comes to these computerized engine and powertrain controls and I'm starting to design electronic components to make tuning these beasties faster and easier. If an old greybeard like me can do it you can do it too!