96 chevy k1500 350 egr delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigugly96

Reaction score
Ok so I'm wanting to delete the egr system on my 96 350, reason being is I'm going to be using my truck as a mud truck and the headers I bought for it does not have the spot to put the egr tube. Does anyone know of any handheld options for tuning out the egr afterwards or any other tips? Thanks in advance.

Smok3y

Reaction score
If you delete egr you're definitely going to throw a check engine, likely run lean without running a tuner. I know hp tuners has a black box that'll give you egr delete options on vortex motors, contact them on Tuesday and ask them if you can delete the whole unit with a block off plate and keep the check engine off. The egr solenoid is on top of the valve so getting rid of it will leave a loose harness causing a hard/permanent cel without a tune

bigugly96

Reaction score
If you delete egr you're definitely going to throw a check engine, likely run lean without running a tuner. I know hp tuners has a black box that'll give you egr delete options on vortex motors, contact them on Tuesday and ask them if you can delete the whole unit with a block off plate and keep the check engine off. The egr solenoid is on top of the valve so getting rid of it will leave a loose harness causing a hard/permanent cel without a tune
How would I go about doing that as I have been told that hptuners doesn't support/isn't able to tune my truck? Or is it something completely different.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm wanting to delete the egr system on my 96 350, reason being is I'm going to be using my truck as a mud truck and the headers I bought for it does not have the spot to put the egr tube. Does anyone know of any handheld options for tuning out the egr afterwards or any other tips? Thanks in advance.

I did this on my '98 L31 using Jet's "Dynamic Spectrum Tuner". AFAIK you can use the same product on the '96. @df2x4 may have some comment.

I've discussed "EGR disable" in another thread on GMT400, somewhere (I'll look). The gist is that you can easily set the EGR parameters so that it's never enabled (e.g., set the "enable" coolant threshold to 275F). That's it IIRC.

(edit) I make reference to disabling EGR here:

Jet's "Dynamic Spectrum Tuner" is not a handheld solution (like you mentioned); it runs on WinXP-Win11 computers/laptops. It's been discussed quite a bit in the last year or two, if you search you'll find posts about it from me, @df2x4, and a few others.

Last edited:

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
hptuners and efi live only work on 98-00 4 plug black box pcms 96-97 5 plug pcm can only use jet dst or mail order from black bear. you can use hptuners or efi live on your truck if you do a 0411 pcm swap

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(update)

Here's a screengrab from Jet's DST showing some Emissions Parameters (see image attached).

The parameters shown are unmodified, for my stock 1998 L31 on my Suburban, i.e., prior to any changes I later made.

Notice the parameters for the EGR. The EGR is from the factory enabled (assuming all other conditions are met) when the vehicle speed is above 3MPH. Changing this value to be, e.g., 135MPH, effectively disables the EGR.

Attachments

• JET Emissions parameters.jpg
    JET Emissions parameters.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Scubaru25

Reaction score
Not saying it's the right way but I took my egr out like a decade ago and made a block off plate for it on my 96. Never triggered a cel but a code will pop up with a scanner. Never bothered having it tuned.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying it's the right way but I took my egr out like a decade ago and made a block off plate for it on my 96. Never triggered a cel but a code will pop up with a scanner. Never bothered having it tuned.

If one simply blocked-off the EGR valve but left it connected to the ECU, I might expect that to lead to some momentary, and possibly sporadic, lean conditions, e.g., when the ECU opens the EGR valve and backs of the fuel more-or-less simultaneously... then, once the O2 sensors register the (lean) disparity on account of the lack of exhaust gas recirculation and the ECU thus learns of it, the ECU makes adjustments to restore the AFR. How the engine performs during that period -- what's the "feel in the pants and under the foot" -- may or may not be noticeable.

If one disconnected the EGR valve from the ECU (whether blocked off or not), I would expect the SES to illuminate.

I think there would be a better way of doing it (as @Scubaru25 hints) such as tuning it, but that's just me. I've got no problem with simply blocking it off, except for the possible sporadic lean / odd drivability that might result.

"Tuning it" is what I did to mine, FWIW; I simply "disabled" the EGR function by setting the ECU's "EGR enable" parameter(s) so as to never enable it... otherwise, no additional changes, I left the EGR valve in-place and connected to the ECU.

:popcorn:

Last edited: