Different exhaust systems for TBI engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also have a vortec 350 in my 97 tahoe, it was definetly no slouch, but IMO, I like the powerband of the TBI setup much better, in a truck at least. In a TBI setup you could easily and relatively cheaply hit 400-450 HP provided you've got some good matched engine parts, a good tune and sufficient fuel pressure. The deal breaker for me for messing w/ the vortecs is the intake. Stock vortec intake can support 300, maybe 350 HP max. To go beyond this you have to switch to a completley custom induction system or have a bitchload of expensive machine work done to the stock intake, or switch to marine intake ($$$$), so it's still doable, just not as cheap. TBI and vortec setups are both great, both were necessary transitions from oldschool SBC technology into what eventually would lead to the development of the LSx series. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I think the main reason I prefer the TBI is the gobs and gobs of TQ that can be made w/ even a mildly warmed over TBI. My TBI 360 pulls hard as a freight train from idle to just over 5000 RPM. In a daily driven yet still hot rodded pickup, I see no need to spin the engine higher than 5 grand and so the advantage of the vortec's high RPM power wouldn't be as useful (or fun IMO).

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah its all about what you like. i personally like to hear my truck wound out and do alot of drag racing but just recreation style, like with my buddies at night on the road or at the sand dunes. but i heard the vortec set up can support 400 as is. idk what the actual fact of it is as no one has proven it for me to belive so it is what it is, but regardless i will eventually have a marine intake 411 and a cam to push mine to the edge, and really a marine intake for what it is its not that expensive, think about how much of an upgrade it is and what it would take to do that swap to another sbc. its a pretty big advantage with a very low price IMO!

Reaction score
So I have kinda figured out the first half of my exhaust...it kinda fell into place. The manifold flange gasket on the pass. side was leaking and being that is been cold and snowy since I got the truck and I dont have a torch... I took it to the High School to have the class work on it for free...
Turns out the ******** who i got the truck from welded the sliding flange to the pipe and made it a big fuckshow... making it impossible to replace the gasket without cutting the j-pipe and taking it off and re welding it OR taking off the crossover pipe (which is also already welded back together) and both cats and lowering the j-pipe from the manifolds.
However, I have a dual 2" IN/single 2.5" OUT cat I was gonna put on an older truck but never did, so I'm thinking I'll have my exhaust guy make up a new set of 2" downpipes to that cat then run 2.5" out, either single or dual, to an undetermined muffler(s).

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like someone had a fun time with it lol. i can not stand the little sputter noise a leaking manifold gasket makes!!!

Reaction score
I cant either... makes me want to stick a spoon in my eye.
Now the check engine light came on... probably cuz the leak was making the O2 sensor read lean and its ****** up the cat by over compensating...I'll swing by NAPA in the morning and have them scan it...
It runs less than perfect so i wouldnt be surprised if that leak has ****** **** up...

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I like to hear my truck as well, just not obnoxiously loud like I used to have it in high school. Even from idle to 4 or 5 grand it sounds subtle yet mean. Fast355 from TGO has experimented and pushed various SBC's to the edge, TBI, TPI, vortecs whatever. He as well as other reputable vortec-hot rodders have stated the limit to being in the 300-350 FWHP range if still using the stock intake system. Fast is not one known to lie about these things and he is well respected across many forums on the net. It's certainly doable. I personally have my heart set on an LQ9 swap someday.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My GMC has stock manifolds, dual 2 1/4 pipes, dual Thunder Bolt cats, dual Flowmaster 40s, and stainless tips behind the rear tires.

I like Flowmasters, but I think they aren't anything special. I'd rather have glasspacks.

1ugly88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dual on a tbi are easy to do on. if i remember correctly the only o2 sensor is in the left manifold. get a head pipe from a vortec truck that has the dual pipes and just put a pipe plug in the sensor bungs that you won't need. i have one sitting in my basement right now. gonna cut out the cats and weld in some pipe. got it for free from the boneyard cause the cats are no good. bolts right up to my motor. once i find the rear section that goes from the flange to the mufflers i'll be all set. i'll be in this for about 200 bucks when i'm done.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that sounds pretty good for a v6. i cant even belive youd rather have glasspacs though.