Different exhaust systems for TBI engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes i did miss the first part. i do know what steel is call my friend. and i highly doubt the majority of flowmasters are welded by hand. i know for sure some are. but i bet there is a machine doing the welding. i dont know what we are debating about anymore. i basically said the same thing about the two mufflers that you mentioned with different wording. weather they use the same material or not i do not know. does it matter? i doubt it. will i still run them over flows? probly not. why? because why would i change something that works great for me already and price is not an issue? are the flowmasters right for you? apparently not. even if price is the only difference in the two i would have to have actual proof of that to consider running them. like seeing both mufflers made in the same factory and just put in two different boxes. at that point yes i would run the knock off. its just the same princable as having a harley look alike, it might sound like it, look like it, and ride like it, but in the end its still not a harley. i know thats alot different scinareo but its an example of my opinion only. you can rain all over my parade day in and day out, but at the end of the day im still going to have flowmasters on my trucks because that is what i like. im not calling you cheap or a poser for buying the knock off or anything like that so dont take it the wrong way. i just prefer the real deal as far as anything goes in any situation. weather its tools, trucks, bikes, or whatever ill always have brand name products in every situation.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6chevy9 said:
yes i did miss the first part. i do know what steel is call my friend. and i highly doubt the majority of flowmasters are welded by hand. i know for sure some are. but i bet there is a machine doing the welding. i dont know what we are debating about anymore. i basically said the same thing about the two mufflers that you mentioned with different wording. weather they use the same material or not i do not know. does it matter? i doubt it. will i still run them over flows? probly not. why? because why would i change something that works great for me already and price is not an issue?

You're completley missing the point. The "strange" (as you called it) material used in flowclones is the EXACT same steel used to make flowmasters. The flowclones are even aluminized. Let me say it again, if you put a real flowmaster next to the cheaper duplicate version, the ONLY and I mean ONLY difference is the real flowmaster has the brand name stamped on the outside of the muffler case. But who cares, it's not like someone's going to crawl under and inspect the mufflers and say, "Oh, you don't have real flowmasters, b/c I can see the name isn't stamped on the side." Yeah not likely. They are EXACTLY THE SAME in terms of function, appearance, sound etc. It must be nice that money is not an object. I on the other hand will shop around for the best deal on anything so that my money goes farther elsewhere, and this doesn't mean cheaping out and buying junk, it's just being a smart consumer.

6chevy9 said:
are the flowmasters right for you? apparently not. even if price is the only difference in the two i would have to have actual proof of that to consider running them. like seeing both mufflers made in the same factory and just put in two different boxes. at that point yes i would run the knock off. its just the same princable as having a harley look alike, it might sound like it, look like it, and ride like it, but in the end its still not a harley. i know thats alot different scinareo but its an example of my opinion only. you can rain all over my parade day in and day out, but at the end of the day im still going to have flowmasters on my trucks because that is what i like. im not calling you cheap or a poser for buying the knock off or anything like that so dont take it the wrong way. i just prefer the real deal as far as anything goes in any situation. weather its tools, trucks, bikes, or whatever ill always have brand name products in every situation.

I've given you the actual objective proof and you're refusing to accept it. I am not lying when I say that I ran the flowclones for 3 years and they performed identically to flowmasters. I've never ran the real deal on any of my vehicles b/c the price difference for NO gain whatsoever, but my dad's F150 came with flowmasters on it from the previous owner, guess what? They were so rusted up they literally fell off while I was driving his truck one day. So much for the "you get what you pay for" bullshit. And yes, it was the actual muffler itself that rusted away and ultimately lead to it's falling off. And they were the real deal. I've had TONS of friends who have all had the real flowmasters as well, they ALL thought that my truck also had brandname flowmasters, that is until I told them that mine cost less than half as much for the set. You could put the mufflers SIDE BY SIDE and see NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL, with the one sole exception of the flowmaster brand name muffler having the flowmaster logo stamped on the outside (which you'll never see anyways once they're installed). Something like a muffler is blood simple and is easily replicated (without sacrificing quality).

Your Harley analogy falls apart once you realize that Harley Davidson has a patent on the 15* or so offset firing sequence which gives them the characteristic 'potato-potato' sound, I've yet to see a *** bike that imitates a Harley that closely, maybe to the untrained eye, not to me.

This is NOT a matter of opinion: we have two mufflers, which are the same, one costs more than the other just b/c it comes with flowmaster stamped on the outside. But hey at least they gave you a flowmaster sticker when you bought the real deal so you can proudly show that you paid more for something for no reason whatsoever. I'm NOT trying to talk you out of your beloved flowmasters, I'm just posting this up for someone who comes along and would rather save money than senselessly waste it. The flowmasters and flowclones probably are made in the same factory, I've driven, ridden in, been around, and worked on vehicles running both flowclones, and the actual flowmasters, I'm speaking from real world experience, there is NO difference at all, you pay more for the flowmasters b/c of the higher packaging and marketing costs associated with popular faddish items like flowmasters.

In some cases, there may be an advantage to buying brandname stuff, frequently however this is not the case.
Often, when you go for the brandname stuff that you think is the best or better, you're just getting ******. I'm not going to stop you though, it is a free country after all.
http://www.220.ro/emisiuni-tv/Penn-Teller-The-Best/6pIdjnyrN0/

Last edited:

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hahah alright man i get it your in love with the flowcones over flowmaster. im not refuesing the fact at all. im simply saying that its your word speaking for this other muffler and that i have no other proof of it being as you say but to just take your word for it, and thats fine. if i had not just bought a new flowmaster last week i can tell you i WOULD look into that muffler. ill take your word for it that it is the same i dont have a problem with it. on another note, harley has knock off chineese made s&s motors that look identical to the original. and i have heard *** bikes sound and look pretty damn close. thats all im saying on the subject i dont care about more opinions about harley, it was simple an example.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, you don't get it, not one little bit. If I was "in love" w/ them they'd still be on my truck, which is why they're not, I got tired of how loud they are and I wanted something quieter, I've also said this at least once and probably more times than that. This WHOOOOOLE time I've simply been pointing out the obvious fact that these two mufflers are identical, with one being cheaper. I am NOT trying to promote anything or anyone. You don't have to take my word for it, go try it yourself; saying that you just bought new a flowmaster and therefore can't test this out is bullshit, it's an easy out.

I said THIS IS NOT A MATTER OF OPINION. Not only are your posts a hassle to read for lack of paragraphs, spelling, grammar etc. I guess you don't bother to make an effort to read and understand other people's posts either. I'm NOT saying that you shouldn't make typos and whatnot, that happens, but at least make an effort, it should be easy to read, and make sense the first time you read it, otherwise it defeats the purpose of posting on a forum.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/914781-flowmaster-clone.html There are also guys on hotrodders.com running them who will tell you everything I've already told you.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i dont know why you get so worked up over it dude. chill out. why did i miss it? im ******* dislexic and dont do very good with reading to start with...is that cool with you? and if these things are the same why the hell would i try to run it if i already have the same thing? but thats aside from everything else. i did however make an effort to look into it on google and could not find anything.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not worked up over anything. I'm just not going to sit by while people speak in generalities and untruths, and totally misconstrue my posts. I'm also dyslexic, inherited it from my pops probably. I'm NOT trying to bust your balls over that. I make an effort to at least TRY to break sentences into paragraphs, use capitalization, spellcheck, and use good grammar etc. All I'm asking is that you try, nothing more and nothing less. Not just for me, for the forum in general.

95_z71

Reaction score
I run straight duals from the headers back with no cats and 12 inch cherry bombs.

Its loud and has a rumble which is why I went with that setup but it does get obnoxious going on road trips lol. Not mentioning pissing off all the old people coming home at night and getting pulled over the next day because there was reports of me "disturbing the peace"

Think Ive been pulled over 10-12 times now for things related to my exhaust and still have not been caught for running no cats.

ilikethewoods

Reaction score
Thinking ABOUt some TUrbo mufflers that dump right after CAb. FLOWmasTERs are just as tREndy as FACebook. Just want the STREETrod sound, but don't want to BE that a$$-hole with a looking & sounding FAST truCK. WEaK SaucE SOn! THankS for the THreaD!

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
well you guys posts are to long for me to read. i dont like flowmasters though. :biggrin:
Haha im with you man, too much reading...and as far as mufflers i like cherry bomb and thrush for the price. not a fan of glasspacks though. ill prob be swapping my oem muffler for a thrush weld or cherry bomb extreme