Different exhaust systems for TBI engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, wondering what all you TBI guys are running for exhaust. What ya got, why, and pros cons. Mines currently got a rusted out 3" straight back, magnaflow cat, split into (2) 2.5" pipes cut right over the axle. Wanting to get it all redone and have them dump over the rear axle with some 3" tips. No idea what setup to go with.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had a stock y pipe and manifolds with no cats a single in dual out flowmaster super 40 with the pipes all the way out the back on an 88 with a 305 and i loved it!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the sound difference running Y pipe with just a cat vs. the same with just say a flowmaster muffler? Which is better for the truck?

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
to be completly honest with you i have only heard a dodge v8 truck like that. it sounded pretty good/ pretty loud but when he let off the gas it popped alot! with my flowmasters i hardly ever hear a pop and i have just had one on everything i have owned, i love the sound that they put out and thats about the only reason i get them. the super 40 sounded the same as the old school 40 series to me but i have mainly had old school 40s on everything and loved them!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you're saying the dodge had y pipe with just a catalytic converter that made it pop a little? Cuz thats what I'm running and I like the popping in exhaust. Just wondering what just flows would be like. So I guess they're more constant roar than the crackly exhaust sound from cats right?

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you like the pop? never heard that before maybe we are thinking of somthing different, the pop i was talking about wasnt a good sound. every time he lifted off the gas it would pop like a backfire kind of pop. flows dont do that near as much. i have heard mine do it maybe twice after wide open throttle and high rpm and lifting off the gas right away but thats it. flows sound more clean, when your going real fast and start slowing down right away they sound almost the same as speeding up but like a reverse noise. i would ditch the cat and put a flow on. it sounds better. most people that hear the poping/ backfire noise think...wow what a pile. and honestly i hate that noise myself it sounds trashy, like a K-mart muffler. up here when we hear that kind of noise we make fun of people and say oh wow sounds like hes got the K-mart snappers on that thing lol. but maybe its just me and my friends idk.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Mine was 3" pipe, an emptied cat, and an 01 toyota tacoma resonator gutted and dumped before the axle on my 92. It was Loud and didnt have any pop to it, Sounded the best to me, since everyone around here just cuts the muffler and dumps after cat. Set off car alarms all the time in my dorm parking lot... Sounded beastly.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a youtube video of the sound I like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyA7MjOBmmw&feature=related

What I've noticed is the 96+ vortec trucks (like the one in the vid) have this sound alot where as the TBI trucks (mine) could not run two seperate pipes because it only had one 02 sensor so my truck has a Y pipe with the deep droan but can't get it to sound like that one.
I've had my current exhaust on the truck since before I bought it 8 years ago. Looking to get something different just wanted some ideas.

I like that sound but after watching again the one in that video is way too loud but I like the tone and how its choppy sounding, just wondering what mufflers, cat, glasspacks or whatever help create that sound?

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ill listen when i get home. but mine sounds really wicked, im talking the 97, my 92 sounds amazing too. but my 97 has a y pipe from a 93 3500 with a 350 they were a little bigger than my stock y and bolt right up, i had to put o2 bungs in it but no biggie. since mine was a 305 vortec it had from factory a y pipe that went to single and it was around 2 inches or so. the new y is like 2.5 or 2.75 its def bigger than stock. then i have 3 inch into one flow and 3 inch over the axle. right at the top of the axle i have a diesel 4 inch tailpipe welded in that exits in the stock location with a 4 inch in 5 inch out RBP tip. now before i didnt have a tailpipe and it was very loud all around, but with that tail it sounds near stock inside with the windows up but it seems to project the sound out alot outside and just sounds sick IMO, no pops or anything. obviously any added compresion or a cam will greatly alter the sound of your exhaust and make it sound more choppy and just completly mean all through its powerband. but for a near stock truck with a few do dads it sounds really healthy. now my 92 is a diff story. it has longtube headers and true duals into flows with turn downs under the bed. its ungodley loud all the time inside and out, but at the same time its not just loud, it sounds good and is still loud. there is a big difference. tonight ill view your link vid and tell you what i think. also pipe sizes change the sound alot too, small pipes make more of a pop kind of noise ( i dont like ) and the bigger the pipe the lower rumble kind of sound it gets, but you have to be careful and build it just right for what you have, you go to big you lose low end power, to small sounds bad and restricts it. but ill listen to the vid and give you my best educated guess on what you should run IMO to get that sound. what is done to your motor? what size? thats about all i need to know!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks man its a stock 350 tbi stock exhaust manifolds. I'm told I can't do two seperate pipes all the way back since the tbi engines only have one 02 sensor or something to that effect. I do know I'm wanting two tips right past and above the axle pointing down so you could barely see them if you were in a car or stock truck behind me.