Ground Wire Behind Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dachechinwolf

Reaction score
Hey would any of you guys happen to know what this wire on the back of the engine is for and where it's supposed to be? Looks like a ground wire it's below the distributor I only saw it because I had removed the distributor truck is a 1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 with the 350 TBI.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425-220744.png
    Screenshot_20240425-220744.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240425-221335.png
    Screenshot_20240425-221335.png
    966.3 KB · Views: 28

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That ground should be bolted to the back of the cylinder head. From there it would go to a stud on the firewall. There is also another ground that goes from that stud to the frame.

Side note: that thing is greasy. What’s up with that?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That ground should be bolted to the back of the cylinder head. From there it would go to a stud on the firewall. There is also another ground that goes from that stud to the frame.

Slows the ooze lol all that gunk was my first reaction.

Dachechinwolf

Reaction score

Side note: that thing is greasy. What’s up with that
Thank you!! and yeah very greasy indeed I'm not to sure what that's about I recently changed the oil pressure switch the old one had gone bad but it wasn't covered in oil or anything any ideas?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I twiched a bit cuz i thought somebody had posted a colanoscopy.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!! and yeah very greasy indeed I'm not to sure what that's about I recently changed the oil pressure switch the old one had gone bad but it wasn't covered in oil or anything any ideas?
Does your truck use a lot of oil? I take it maybe you’re the new owner? Intake seal could be gone at the China rail at the back of the engine, failed PCV valve, failed valve cover gaskets. What’s the rest look like?

Dachechinwolf

Reaction score
Does your truck use a lot of oil? I take it maybe you’re the new owner? Intake seal could be gone at the China rail at the back of the engine, failed PCV valve, failed valve cover gaskets. What’s the rest look like?
Yeah it does, smokes only at startup and yes I am the new owner it has a new pcv valve I don't know what the China Rail is...though I do see that the valve covers are pretty greasy as well doesn't look as fresh as the stuff on the back though. Almost all of the grease is on the back of the engine has it on the bottom as well.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it does, smokes only at startup and yes I am the new owner it has a new pcv valve I don't know what the China Rail is...though I do see that the valve covers are pretty greasy as well doesn't look as fresh as the stuff on the back though. Almost all of the grease is on the back of the engine has it on the bottom as well.
Sorry, the China rail is the machined part of the block that the intake sits on. Here is a photo from my 5.7 from my ‘95.
You must be registered for see images attach

There is a layer of RTV that is put on those rails, no gasket. In my photo you can see some of the old RTV.

If you notice a puff of smoke on start up it’s more than likely that your valve seals have gone bad and allowing oil to get past them, burnt, then out the exhaust.