Different exhaust systems for TBI engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The first truck I posted was sort of a mistake. It was obvious he had nothing but pipes under there. Hell, I used to have nothing but pipes had some shady place cut my only cat off in high school but I was 16 and didn't know how ignorant it was and sounded. I want the new setup to be relatively quiet actually but im looking for the right tone and confused on what mufflers, cats, pipe combos make what sounds. I just don't want the new setup to be a steady drone. I want it deep and choppy I guess is the best way to describe it. I hear alot of the vortec trucks, I love thw way they sound. Most the TBI setups I hate :shrug: I see exactly what you mean by the "kmart" popper style. Sounds like high school all over again.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The first truck I posted was sort of a mistake. It was obvious he had nothing but pipes under there. Hell, I used to have nothing but pipes had some shady place cut my only cat off in high school but I was 16 and didn't know how ignorant it was and sounded. I want the new setup to be relatively quiet actually but im looking for the right tone and confused on what mufflers, cats, pipe combos make what sounds. I just don't want the new setup to be a steady drone. I want it deep and choppy I guess is the best way to describe it. I hear alot of the vortec trucks, I love thw way they sound. Most the TBI setups I hate :shrug: I see exactly what you mean by the "kmart" popper style. Sounds like high school all over again.

totally man, but i mean im sure these kids are atleast learing lol. their friends all think its sweet and they are like yeah sure ill rev it again thinking to themselves man this sounds terrible lol. i know how it goes i have done it, dont think for one second im perfect and never cut my exhaust off because i thought it was cool. lol belive me i have been there too but now i know and thats how you learn! fortunatly i try to warn people not to do that to their poor trucks but some dont listen and that is fine because they will just learn the hard way! as far as choppy exhaust sound goes im pretty sure you just need the headers and flows, then add a cam. remember, your exhaust doesnt make the sound....your motor does! you can hear the obvious difference between the first headers and flowmasters vid and the second one. of coarse the second sounds much better eventhough its the same exhaust, the difference is just the motor plain and simple. more comprssion and a bigger cam. but you find a vid of exactly what sound your after and ill try to line you up with somthing that should sound the same!

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol once again ill have to wait till about 12 midnight to see them, im at work already. but ill for sure check them out! how did you like that last vid i posted? that truck sounds sick IMO!

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah but who doesnt lol! i am working on a cam set up for mine, thinking the extreme4x4 line from comp. i run a second shift in a factory

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got this engine and a fresh tranny put in. I'm not really looking to alter performance right now. I just need a reliable dd. Plus, with the lift, I'm not really trying to make it fast at all. I do however enjoy the low end torque these TBI's put out. Its probably the only good thing about a throttle body engine though.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say stay away from flowmasters if you do NOT want drone. I suppose there might be a set out there that don't drone, but, every vehicle I've ridden in that had flowmasters had drone, which I could do without. I used to have flowmasters on my truck, but I changed them out a while ago for some simple 'turbo' style mufflers. I like them, deep, smooth, quiet while idling or cruising, and noticeably throaty when you drop the hammmer. The magnaflows in the vids sound ok, too high pitched and poppy though IMO. The OEM exhaust system on a TBI is TERRIBLE, from the exhaust manifolds back needs to be replaced if you really want to let the engine breath as it should, even if it's bone stock, this is honestly the first thing to upgrade on a TBI setup b/c it's relatively simple and the stock exhaust is so horrible. The second most easily overcome obstacle for building higher TQ and HP in a TBI setup is the factory cam, which is a joke b/c it's so puny. Only good thing?!?!? Other good things about a TBI setup are: simplicity, dependability, excellent powerband, great fuel economy, I digress. :ROFLJest:

WTF 800$ is ridiculous. I paid about $100 for my headers, and $350 for full dual 3" exhaust. Mandrel bent and aluminized pipe, two mufflers, H pipe.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Low end power is the only thing good about the TBI's performance wise. I've owned my truck just shy of a decade. I know about the simplicity and reliability of these engines. Anyways, I guess I like a higher pitched crackly exhaust sound? :shrug: Seems as though most people hate it though :hmm: Theres a difference between the sound I like and a truck thats running straights that sounds like **** loud as all hell doing 10 mph.