Decisions, decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I went looking for ZF specs;

ZF-6
Used exclusively in 89-96
[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Corvettes[/FONT][/FONT], the ZF six-speed is a massive, durable, and expensive transmission. Rebuild parts are hard to come by. (Vette warranties required trading in a bad trans to [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]GM[/FONT][/FONT] for a remanufactured unit.) The ZF shares no common dimensions with traditional GM manual trasmissions. Its nonstandard bellhousing accepts on a Vette pull-style hydraulic clutch. Versions used behind the LT1/LT4 and DOHC LT5 engines have different length input shafts. GM usses a dual-mass flywheel to reduce noise from this massive, truck-like trans.

Pro: among the strongest steet transmissions available; closely spaced gear ratios; top two gears are overdrive-great for Bonneville top-speed racing.
Con: rare and expensive, no conventional trans mount, nonstandard trans-to-bell-housing bolt pattern, rebuild parts scarce, wide girth causes clearance problems.
gear ratios: 2.68 1.80 1.31 1.00 0.75 0.50
weight 145 pounds
rated strength 450 lb-ft

T56
The high-tech Tremec (formerly Borg-warner) T56 is installed in 93 and up V-8 Cammros and Firebirbs, comprises the front half of the C5 transaxle and withstands the most brutal abuse of torque monster V-10 Vipers. The latter features special gear metallurgy and may be the stoutest streetable manual trans yet. Production T56's use nonstandard bel-housings, electronic speedometer, and pull-style hydraulic clutches. The overall length, mount location, and internal-shifter position are different then classic-
[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]muscle[/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]car[/FONT][/FONT] transmissions.

Vital Specs
Pro: a durable, smooth-shifting, high tech trans with double overdrive,
Con: production versions have nonstandard mounting provisions and no mechanical-speedometer provisions, limited gear ratio selection.
Rated strength 450 ftbs
weight 131 lbs

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a complete '96 Vortec 5.7L that I'd love to sell - fairly cheap. It has a spun bearing (or so I'm told). The heads/intake are off, but I have everything. Shipping may be an issue, but I have access to pallets if you find a way to ship it. Right now the short block is taking up valuable space in my garage. I mainly wanted it for the extra Vortec specific parts (intake/distributor, etc) for spares for my '96.

http://www.engineshipping.com/ looks like a way to ship. I just googled 'engine shipping quote' and this came up.

This would be cool. I only need the long block. Was hoping to get the hardware for a roller cam, the rods and pistons (Vortecs have a little higher compression), and the heads from somewhere. My block is good, so thats not an issue. So, what are you looking to get for it?

Last edited:

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Skylark; whatcha askin fer it?? doh!! I just reread the millage LOL I am always lookin for a backup motor for my beast.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This would be cool. I only need the long block. Was hoping to get the hardware for a roller cam, the rods and pistons (Vortecs have a little higher compression), and the heads from somewhere. My block is good, so thats not an issue. So, what are you looking to get for it?

I'd take $200 for the long block. I have that in it. Like ia said, it is taking up valuable space in my garage.

When I was rebuilding my vortec I needed a set of heads (both wer cracked). I paid $100 for a pair from a salvage yard. I ended up getting this after I finished rebuilding my engine.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Skylark; whatcha askin fer it?? doh!! I just reread the millage LOL I am always lookin for a backup motor for my beast.
$1000. I believe that it will have a new home as of 10am tomorrow. Gotta get some $$$ together if I want the OP's other truck.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. Can't move on it til (or I guess if) I sell my green truck. :)
Like I said, I'm interested. I'm also going to sell the Sadturd (Saturn) but I need some cash to buy some cheap tires to throw on it. Cars on concrete blocks don't sell well... It's not a bad little car but its not me. The bad thing is that I bought it from my dad and he lost the title.