Anyone know of a lab that can analize an oil sample in Indy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Not sure if this was the right page for this question.

Just have an ongoing issue here that needs further analysis. Figure being near indy, there has to be a lab somewhere that would break down what is going on within oil and other potential "contaminants". I have a theory here and it isn't going to be great if my suspicion becomes tr
ue.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"IN" Indy? No, I don't know of a lab. There may be one, and I just don't know about it.

There's a dozen companies that analyze oil samples. Some of them have multiple labs, you pick the city closest to you, and mail the sample to that location.

I've personally used oil sample kits from Cummins and, more recently, Detroit Diesel. I'm kinda thinking my samples have been mailed to the DD lab in Columbus, OH; but I haven't sent off a sample in over a year, so I might be hallucinating.

Pick up an oil-sample kit, mail it to wherever trips your trigger.

I bet there's oil-sample kits available at any good-sized airport, any Diesel service shop, and they're on Amazon or eBay. I bought a case (12) from Detroit Diesel, and got a bit of a discount on them. Gonna have to buy another case before long, I think I'm down to one or two.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think Blackstone, the one that gets the most internet traffic, is in Fort Wayne.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 for Blackstone Labs. They are in Fort Wayne, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to send the sample in by mail anyway. They're great to work with though.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could probably recommend a service but it seems to be covered.
If, the contaminant in question is water though - there's an easy test you can do yourself at no cost...

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you're in Indy, MacAllister Machinery will have oil sample kits available and should have a fairly quick turnaround on results. It's a Cat dealer, so all you need to do is ask for an SOS test at the counter and they can fix you up. Standard SOS test will check for contaminant levels and viscosity, Engine SOS test also checks TBN but is more expensive.

Reaction score
I could probably recommend a service but it seems to be covered.
If, the contaminant in question is water though - there's an easy test you can do yourself at no cost...
Haha, nope. Smells like sabotage to my untrained nose and more nefarious than water.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Haha, nope. Smells like sabotage to my untrained nose and more nefarious than water.

If you're thinking someone dumped something in there, I'm not sure an oil analysis is going to help you. It's more for detecting how the oil is holding up and checking for contaminants from things like bearing wear.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're thinking someone dumped something in there, I'm not sure an oil analysis is going to help you. It's more for detecting how the oil is holding up and checking for contaminants from things like bearing wear.

Inclined to agree with that. See below for a typical analysis and what it covers.

Attachments

• _SP05 NUE_LEAP 85,000mls.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 6