All around budget sound setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Also, to handle the 70w rms thru 4ohm speaker(s), your little calc says 19ga or bigger.

I'll let you know as soon as I get it. I'll either post pics in this thread or link my build thread.

I double checked those speakers as well. The wiring included is either 16awg or 18awg, so I'm good. :)

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Well, my package from Crutchfield arrived today, and I began the actual audio install. Pics as promised.

KS6.2 speakers:
You must be registered for see images attach

Kicker vs stock

Mounted in the truck:

Cross over location:

Perfectly clears the E-brake:

I got the left side buttoned back up. I love how clean it looks so far. Tomorrow I will do the right side and mount my tweeters. I also got my headunit installed, I need to get some pics.

On another note, what frequency should I tune my bandpass filters for my sub and other speakers? Each channel has high/low pass.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I'd mount the crossovers inside the door panel (securely mounted). You could damage them there, not to mention out of place.

I thought about putting them inside the door, but the constant slamming seems like it would have a chance of knocking them loose. Plus the doors are more exposed to the elements than the interior. I don't know, I could be wrong.

For the time being I'm going to leave them mounted up under the dash. If I have problems I may mount them on the amp rack, not for sure yet.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
I just finished my "budget install".

Here's a breakdown:
MB Quart components $80 (used)
1998 Kicker Comp-VR Dual VC 12" (Free. Have had for 5+ yrs)
Phoenix Gold Octane-R500:1 Monoblock AMP ($40 on CL)
Phoenix Gold Octane-R R2.5:2 2-Channel AMP ($12 eBay)
P.O.S. deck

After I sound deadened the Roof, b-pillars & doors my sub hit harder than it EVER has.

Here's a vid I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6H6iYqDZg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It sounds distorted but believe me IT SOUNDS AMAZING thus far. Still have a ways to go 'til I'll be satisfied.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I just finished my "budget install".

Here's a breakdown:
MB Quart components $80 (used)
1998 Kicker Comp-VR Dual VC 12" (Free. Have had for 5+ yrs)
Phoenix Gold Octane-R500:1 Monoblock AMP ($40 on CL)
Phoenix Gold Octane-R R2.5:2 2-Channel AMP ($12 eBay)
P.O.S. deck

After I sound deadened the Roof, b-pillars & doors my sub hit harder than it EVER has.

Here's a vid I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6H6iYqDZg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It sounds distorted but believe me IT SOUNDS AMAZING thus far. Still have a ways to go 'til I'll be satisfied.

That sounds great! I use some pretty good earphones on my PC, and I could hear the bass clear as a bell. I envy you on the sound deadening. I don't realize how much road noise my truck has until I drive my dads NN(N?)BS Silverado. It is suppose to have 300lbs more of just insulation than the older trucks or something similar.

Maybe someday when I have all the seats out, I can take up the vinyl and start deadening, idk.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
That sounds great! I use some pretty good earphones on my PC, and I could hear the bass clear as a bell. I envy you on the sound deadening. I don't realize how much road noise my truck has until I drive my dads NN(N?)BS Silverado. It is suppose to have 300lbs more of just insulation than the older trucks or something similar.

Maybe someday when I have all the seats out, I can take up the vinyl and start deadening, idk.

Sound Deadener consisted of:
Peel & Seal (Lowe's) ~$60+
Yoga mat x2 (Target) Closed Cell Foam $34
Less than $100 spent so far and it made an amazing difference on sound resonance.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you drill a hole in the firewall next to the existing hole (behind the top of the pedals) you can run your power wire through there and then down the the drivers side of the truck underneath the sill plates.