All around budget sound setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
... and I know this may be a dead horse. I did a search and everyone situation seemed slightly different than mine, so I made a thread. Don't hate too hard, please.

Anyway, here is my situation. I would like to build a decent system for my '98 extended cab. I listen to a variety of music, but the stock system sounds kind of crappy. Especially considering I have to use one of those casset adapters to plug my iPhone in. I know nothing about audio, so you will have to speak in very simple terms with me, lol.

My goal is to have a full sounding system. In other words, I do not want to just throw a set of subs in and go. I am not really looking to be one of those guys that you can hear pounding at stop lights. As long as I can hear it inside the cab, I will be content.

I have heard that the rear speakers are more trouble than they're worth because the plastic encasing them is fragile. I have also heard that the front door speakers were a weird size and were better off replaced with a more standard sized speaker. If either one of those are the case, please advise me.

Anyway, I basically need recommendations on everything. I do not have a set budget, but I would like to keep it as cheap as possible while still sounding good.

Here is what I need:

Headunit (w/ iPod specific hookup)
Subs (more than likely I will put it under the seat)
Amp ( I have no idea where to begin on this)
Midrange speakers ( No idea)
Tweeters (if they are needed)

Thank you all for the help

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for your doors a 5 1/4 round bet buy has kenwoods in the $60 range also they have decently priced headunits for 200 and down, set to go for ipod hookup,you can run the speakers off the headunit use a gm adapter harness to connect to factory plugs,and last get a decent mono amp with a single sub box for under rear seat a 10" sub should be plenty pioneer makes a compact box i've seen those at walmart for a decent price,on the rears you can replace them it just takes time to remove the panels thats all

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Could I purchase a head unit now and install it, then install my speakers this summer when I have the extra cash?

98sierra

Reaction score
Could I purchase a head unit now and install it, then install my speakers this summer when I have the extra cash?

Yes you can install the head unit now and wait on the other speakers. When you get the amp and subs later you will have to take the head unit back out to hook up the rca cables and amp remote turn on lead wire.

4ofakind

Reaction score

Yes just watch your volume levels as aftermarket stereos can damage stock speakers if your not careful.

Mal

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kenwood KDC-MP345U is a nice setup i had that before i got my kenwood touch screen,if thats what your looking to spend its worth it

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Kenwood KDC-MP345U is a nice setup i had that before i got my kenwood touch screen,if thats what your looking to spend its worth it

That is one of the ones I am looking at. My favorite so far is the Pioneer DEH-4300UB. I like the idea of being able to change the color of the text and changing the iPod on the radio. Also, I think it may be a good idea to have a removable face. A flashy touch screen may get stolen I'm afraid. I do not park in any exceptionally shady areas, but I do go to college and I have seen people's car get hurt in the parking lot before...

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was at Autozone the other day and they had a Kenwood w/ front USB/MP3 inputs and a set of speakers for about $130.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Out of these 3, which would be the best?

KDC-MP345U
DEH-4300UB

Or DEH-6300 UB?

The main difference that I can tell is the Kenwood has 22 watts RMS while the Pioneers have 14 watts RMS. How would effect my music?