All around budget sound setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Amp came this morning! I got my dash re-assembled and ran the cables and whatnot. Also finally got a hole drilled in the firewall and ran the power wire.

I laid the amp in the back seat, hooked up the cables and speakers (minus subwoofer), and tried it out. I was very pleased. I only turned the volume up a little, but all of the mids and highs were crisp and clear. The FM radio works better than it ever did before as well. After a 20 minute test session I took the amp back out.

Tomorrow I will finish the rack and get that installed along with the amp. The only thing I'm really lacking is the speaker wire for my subwoofer. I am currently asking KnuKoncepts to send me 10 feet or wire and some connectors since I no longer need the 4 gauge wiring kit. I hate waiting, but my PCM is at Black Bear Performance again this week so I can't really start the truck, and if I listen to it with engine off and the sub thumping, my battery won't last long.

Anyway, I heard music for the first time since I took it apart (Christmas). I'm pumped!

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
The system is totally done. I'm very pleased. I will get my pictures all uploaded soon.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score

Well, I guess this will be the conclusion to this thread. Thank you guys SO much for the help. Specifically T DOG, MOBS, SewLow, and Cableguy.

I am very happy with my system. I tested the gains with the formula v=sqrt(watts x ohms) and found that both my sub channel and front speaker channel was fine with the gains all the way up. I did, however, leave the bass boost at '0' for the sub. Don't know if that was a mistake or not.

It hits pretty dang hard. It is odd, you kind of feel the bass more than you hear it. It feels like a small person is kicking you in the back when it hits. Don't know if that is the downfiring box or what. I have yet to turn it up much yet because I would like to break it in. I kind of think I will be craving more bass though. I can see myself doing 2 10" subs, or 1 12" sub in a big box. I have left myself room to upgrade is the good news.

Now for pics:

amp rack cut out with strips to reinforce it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Carpeted

Pics do not do it justice. I am very proud of the amp rack.

Head unit installed:

All blue!

Sub box, pretty stealth imo.

Amp mounted:

All in all I am very pleased. If you look through the windows, you only see the head unit. The amp is bolted to the floor in such a way that you have to remove the back seat to get it out. With everything out of sight, I feel like this will be a very secure system with the head unit removed.

I also played music for 15 minutes, then felt the amp and it was not even warm. I don't think I will have over heating issues. Also, I had my head lights on, the sub thumping, and heat running and the battery never dropped below 14.4v. Very pleased with my new alt.

That's about it. When it is lighter outside I will get some more pictures, but this thread is pretty much done. Thank you guys SO much!

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That looks really good with all the blue.
Glad I could help, although many had more input than me. Appreciate the pat on the back! Enjoy your new tunes!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Don't forget cableguy........if it wasn't for him, I'd prolly STILL be explaining how caps are supposed to work

:lol:

In all seriousness though, it was fun seeing ya build it, I hope it lasts you for years to come. You did an extremely good job in the install and placement. I'm most happy to see that big-ass 1.0 cu-ft box fit in that tight space, that will definitely provide much smoother bass response in the lower frequencies than that other one you were looking at. Keep us updated with a pic every so often....don't let this thread get lost in the archives :p

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
That looks really good with all the blue.
Glad I could help, although many had more input than me. Appreciate the pat on the back! Enjoy your new tunes!
You helped a ton man. Those in-depth pics of your tweeter mounting was what got my build off the ground. Also, I'm still contemplating re-upholstering my seats with the steps you gave me awhile back lol.

Don't forget cableguy........if it wasn't for him, I'd prolly STILL be explaining how caps are supposed to work

:lol:

In all seriousness though, it was fun seeing ya build it, I hope it lasts you for years to come. You did an extremely good job in the install and placement. I'm most happy to see that big-ass 1.0 cu-ft box fit in that tight space, that will definitely provide much smoother bass response in the lower frequencies than that other one you were looking at. Keep us updated with a pic every so often....don't let this thread get lost in the archives :p

You're right, I updated the post to give him thanks. He helped me figure out a tweeter mounting spot, get a good idea where to put my crossovers, and explain those damn capacitors :lol:. Speaking of which, I actually left a little room on my amp rack to put a cap if I needed one, but I don 't believe I will. The charging system is doing just fine with the 140A alt and big 3.

Thanks man, I had a ton of fun doing the build. I have felt kind of lost the past day not being able to go work on the truck on the weekend. I need a new project for it now lol. That large box actually fits very well. It doesn't stick out beyond the seat too much, I only lost the space under the seat. The bass in the downfiring box is very strange to me still. It feels like there is a midget in the back seat kicking me, and my ears feel more pressure than they hear bass.

I'll post a pic every so often, there is a ton of info in this thread that could be helpful for someone doing their build.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks great! Nice work! Amp rack came out really nice! I need to get busy. I've been slacking. Too much snowboarding. Lol.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Looks great! Nice work! Amp rack came out really nice! I need to get busy. I've been slacking. Too much snowboarding. Lol.

Snow boarding is a blast. The only slopes are artificial ones and are a 2-5 hour drive from me though haha. I love the amp rack, it blends into the carpeting on the back of the cab perfectly. I'm sure your system will be wicked, I have been keeping an eye on your build thread!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969