ADVICE: FLUSHING OUT "OIL SENDING SWITCH" PASSAGE. 92' 350V8 TBI 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
/\ I agree with 89RCLB. Clearing the code would be done by setting the timing, hooking the bypass wire back up, shut off truck and pull the fuse. Go put your tools away, do the naughty with your wife, maybe drink a beer and then go put the fuse back in. As for the helicoil, you would be drilling which means more potential for metal in the engine. I would exhaust every other option first.
And a tip for drilling where you dont want chips, stuff a rag in it, Or if you can't, use shaving cream. the thickest foamiest kind available. You fill the passage with it, drill, then suck it up with a shop vac. Repeat as necessary.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well time to pull a manifold?
I'm afraid that's my only option. I just watched a video, it didn't look too too terrible, but venturing into new waters... there seems to be a mixed consensus regarding rubber gaskets I can see that they use a good quarter inch bead all the way around all the bolt heads and in the back in the front and sides.

I could try to ******* it, patch in RTV where the leak is, but it doesn't feel right

Reaction score
I'm afraid that's my only option. I just watched a video, it didn't look too too terrible, but venturing into new waters... there seems to be a mixed consensus regarding rubber gaskets I can see that they use a good quarter inch bead all the way around all the bolt heads and in the back in the front and sides.

I could try to ******* it, patch in RTV where the leak is, but it doesn't feel right
Absolutely not.Buy the new gaskets. But do not use that cork bs on the china wall. Just use a good bead of rtv on the china wall that slightly overlaps the gasket set. Give this a read http://garage.grumpysperformance.co...ng-the-intake-manifold-distributor.464/page-2

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm i have noticed that you guys use terms that I don't know. What is the china wall? Some day I will crawl out from under this rock I live under

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically your intake manifold sits atop your block. It's between the valve covers. There is a gasket as well as usually a thick bead of RTV that connects the manifold to the block. The "China wall" is where they make the bead especially thick in the rear......, as well I guess it's the front, I'm guessing....... Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

And don't feel bad I just recently acquired the term through searching through endless threads about oil sending switch leaks and picked up on it's probably the China wall leaking Etc

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
China wall term is used because there's a tall narrow wall at front and rear of the lifter valley in the block. A nice bead of RTV works way better than the crappy rubber gaskets that come in the intake kit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
China wall term is used because there's a tall narrow wall at front and rear of the lifter valley in the block. A nice bead of RTV works way better than the crappy rubber gaskets that come in the intake kit.

Richard
Have you or anyone heard of "RIGHT STUFF" ???

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question...

I'm noticing a little bit of coolant building up resting on the valve cover right here. Could this be an artifact of the Leaky intake manifold?

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the dimpling or making shallow holes every inch or so on the intake manifold surface that connects to the engine. The seems actually wise?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Another question...

I'm noticing a little bit of coolant building up resting on the valve cover right here. Could this be an artifact of the Leaky intake manifold?

Yes. The ports at each corner are for the coolant and even though there's not flow at that corner due to it being blocked by the gasket, there is still coolant there in the head and if the gasket fails it can leak. Mine was leaking at the opposite end of the same head. Gasket completely eroded away at the front.

As far as the dimpling etc. don't overthink it. Permatex black gasket maker RTV, a thick bead of it, but don't go crazy so that it's squishing out everywhere. Let it "skin" for a few moments before you set the intake down on it.

Richard